Calling pitches - by the parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...Maybe an example is in order. Scenario:
Unruly fan behind the fence tipping pitches, questioning the strike zone, ..etc. Umpire notifies the coach associated with that spectator to have them stop or he will send that spectator to the parking lot. The spectator does not stop and the umpire ejects them from the field. The spectator refuses to leave so the umpire calls the game.

First of all, at the risk of being redundant, I'm ignoring any fan that does those things.

I will deal with a spectator if they

a) start shouting loud profanities from the stands (at a youth tournament)
b) come onto the field without a very good reason, like their kid being seriously injured
c) start making direct threats to any game participants

The first thing I will do is find or send for one of the aforementioned people (UIC, TD, Site Admin, etc.). If those people are not available, I go to the head coach of the team s/he is a fan of. If that is not readily apparent or the HC refuses to deal with it, the police are called. In any event, the game is not resumed until the person is gone, period.

May 16, 2013
(snip)

I must not wording my question correctly. Let me try again.

What can the umpire do if someone they eject (or issue another order) doesn't comply? What authority does the umpire have to levy a penalty on either team if that someone doesn't comply. If they have no authority, then do the coaches have to accept the penalty or ending of the game prematurely?

Maybe an example is in order. Scenario:
Unruly fan behind the fence tipping pitches, questioning the strike zone, ..etc. Umpire notifies the coach associated with that spectator to have them stop or he will send that spectator to the parking lot. The spectator does not stop and the umpire ejects them from the field. The spectator refuses to leave so the umpire calls the game.

That is the point -the umpire does not (unless it is a special local rule) have the authority to enforce any of that. Which is why the umpire shouldn't threaten anything like ejecting a spectator.

The umpire has no actual jursidiction outside the fence (unless it is a team member/game participant who has left the dugout - and that has it's own penalties)

If a non-participant is doing something that is disruptive or causing a danger to the game, an umpire could suspend the game and have an administrator (TD, UIC, whatever..) handle it.

May 7, 2012
Being a coach and parent. I have actually picked the coaches signs when and have told my daughters, if I call certain numbers, that is the pitch to look for. I will not yell out, (inside, outside, change, etc...), I just give them the number. Does it help, you never can tell because, if the pitcher misses her spot, then what. So, my girls look for the pitch I just called but, also look for what is coming.

Feb 24, 2012
I never call out pitch location to my girls. I have wanted them to be able to read and hit any pitch, as that is what they will need to do at the next level if they are able to make it and choose to do so. Are you really making them better players by telling them what is coming????? Seems more that you are very very interested in that $2 trophy they may get. JMO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand