Parents: leave your child alone when she pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
I was at a varsity HS game yesterday, and a Dad was standing directly behind home plate offering guidance to his daughter as she pitched. In the first inning, he told her to, "get head in the count," which is a slightly more nuanced way of saying, "just throw strikes."

Moms, dads...just don't. When your child is pitching, take your lawn chair and move all the way down the foul line and watch the game. Then, shut up and let her pitch.,

Why?

She has to learn to do this herself, without anyone's help. And, she has to take ownership--which means iff she succeeds, it's her success, not yours. If she fails,it's her failure, not yours.

Couldn’t be truer! I stopped telling my kid anything, batting or pitching a long time ago, She has enough to worry about without me filling her head with swing thoughts right before an at bat.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
but yet every game there is that coach and multiple parents giving that last second swing instruction when girl is in the box 0-2 count. Just encourage (which they all block anyway) or STFU

Very similar thing happened to DD at a tournament a few weekends ago. Her team and another blended some girls to play a few Spring tournaments as other teammates (of both squads) were playing school ball. A coach from each team helped coach (they know each other from coaching together previously). DD was lead-off in the final inning and the other team put a new pitcher out. DD is walking to the on-deck circle to watch and work on the new timing. But instead of that getting done, a coach (not her regular) decided it was a good time to talk to her about driving the ball hard and staying with "yes, yes, no" mentality and working to put the ball in play. By the time he was done stating the obvious, she saw two pitches and was at the mercy of timing on the fly during the at-bat.

The coach was coming from a good place, but it was at the wrong time.

Apr 14, 2022
I was at a varsity HS game yesterday, and a Dad was standing directly behind home plate offering guidance to his daughter as she pitched. In the first inning, he told her to, "get head in the count," which is a slightly more nuanced way of saying, "just throw strikes."

Moms, dads...just don't. When your child is pitching, take your lawn chair and move all the way down the foul line and watch the game. Then, shut up and let her pitch.,

Why?

She has to learn to do this herself, without anyone's help. And, she has to take ownership--which means iff she succeeds, it's her success, not yours. If she fails,it's her failure, not yours.
Parents on my dd team think I am weird because I sit way down the line when she pitches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449