Calling pitches - by the parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Just what DC said. Eventually this behavior will catch up with them: batter will be relying on what the parent the is calling, instead of what the pitcher is actually throwing. Regardless, the batters won't be focusing on what they should be; hitting a good pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
Which there is no rule to cover. Sorry coach, change your signs or hide them better.

Nov 14, 2011
I would use the same one the referenced during the SEC semi final game that was in TV yesterday. They called the head of officiating and he said that no pitch calls could come from outside the field. Use that one.

Apr 13, 2013
This came up in an SEC game and they called someone or other in charge. They said anyone inside the fences or dugout can do whatever they want to do, anyone outside the fences needs to keep their mouth shut. I could not find a rule that states this and am not sure how you can control the parents. I agree the Team cannot set something up like this outside the field of play.

Jun 22, 2008
First off you are talking about calling pitches, no someone yelling pitch location to a batter, secondly you are talking NCAA which has a completely different rule set. No such rule exists in any of the other associations I am aware of. Even college players when on base will signal the pitch location. There is no rule against it and the umpire has absolutely no authority to stop it or control it.

Jun 22, 2008
This came up in an SEC game and they called someone or other in charge. They said anyone inside the fences or dugout can do whatever they want to do, anyone outside the fences needs to keep their mouth shut. I could not find a rule that states this and am not sure how you can control the parents. I agree the Team cannot set something up like this outside the field of play.

And that is covered by the rule requiring all team personell to be inside the team area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors