Cage hitting VS Live game Action

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
They are using a pitching machine with the "windmill attachment" so all balls make the circle before they come out of the machine and it is the same thing we used at Open Hitting when I worked with her all winter. I agree it is more than likely a timing issue and could be that some of her success on the field is a product of not very good pitching as represented by her number of times at bat. But she is very excited that she hit the homerun and I certainly don't want to take that away from her by pointing out the poor pitching.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
They are using a pitching machine with the "windmill attachment" so all balls make the circle before they come out of the machine and it is the same thing we used at Open Hitting when I worked with her all winter. I agree it is more than likely a timing issue and could be that some of her success on the field is a product of not very good pitching as represented by her number of times at bat. But she is very excited that she hit the homerun and I certainly don't want to take that away from her by pointing out the poor pitching.

DaddyO

Doug Gillis and Don Slaught and I were using that attachment two years ago in Toledo and was timing it as the vendor had it set up near Don's booth.

There was a speed control to propel the ball in the windmill.

Could it be possible someone has or is changing it too make it to fast or too slow?

We had timed it so at the top of the attachment to the ball coming out would be between .11 to .16 which Don and Doug felt Jennie's K position to release was so it provided a realistic approach to the machine being similar to the actual timing of a real pitchers arm swing was.

The main issue I tell our kids is step when they see the ball in the wheel or wheels as we never stare at the pitchers arm motion anyway.

Several cages I have been to in California had the Attec dual wheeled pitching machines and you could control the speed and type pitch from the hitting area yourself.

Thanks Howard

Oct 19, 2009

Too me different pitchers have different arm speeds, my daughter has different deliveries to throw off the hitter, she starts the arm down at the side of her hip, does the sling shot delivery, Starts at the hip then brings the arm back and has a Monica Abbott type delivery. Although all get to the K position except the sling shot, they have slight variances. She can be tough to hit, keeps the batters off balance. Moving with the pitcher helps and top of the K for load may vary depending on the pitcher, batters need to adjust to each pitcher.

Daddy O I’ve wondered about these machines, not been sure how effective they would be emulating the arm circle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar