Game hitting strategy - dinks vs gaps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2020

Somebody needs to bunt or hit the ball on the ground here. Just bad decisions.

Saw this with our team’s win today. Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the inning and time just expired.

Lead off stuck out, next batter walks and gets to 2B on a passed ball. Top of the line up is a slapper that caught the left side ball sleeping with a drag bunt. 3B should have eaten the throw, but went to first, no one covers 3rd and runner from 2nd scored to end the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2021
This conversation is fascinating to me and I completely agree that hard hit balls are always better than dinks (I played college ball and i've seen how the kids that just hit bloopers for a single get weeded out).

Unfortunately on my DD's 14u team, the kids that take an "arms only" swing for contact hitting bloopers over ss or down the middle get rewarded (not slappers). They have a better BA than my DD who hits screamers but sometimes gets out either because it was a line drive, fly to the fence or hard hit grounder right to the fielder. Her BA last weekend was 416 btw with 2 doubles and a sacfly. She is one of the few that can go opposite field (RF) when needed. The fact is, the kids that have the higher BA get to play every single inning while my daughter sits, a lot. They also hit in front of her in the lineup, she is usually at the bottom.

The coach has my DD in a bit of a "competition" with another girl who is a weaker hitter. My DD gets to play Sunday if her Saturday BA is better than this girl's, it's crazy. The other girl hits a couple easy bloopers and she gets to play on Sunday while my daughter hits it to the fence and doesn't.

It's sad to see because she's starting to change her approach and hit for contact. She can do the easy single all day long but we've taught her (and her batting coach agrees) that's not the goal. How does she message this to the coach without sounding like she's complaining about playing time or putting the other girls down? He's hyper focused on productive at bats. I agree, be productive with hard hit balls but I'm not certain that he cares if it's hard hit or. a blooper. In his mind a single is a single.

Aug 6, 2013
This conversation is fascinating to me and I completely agree that hard hit balls are always better than dinks (I played college ball and i've seen how the kids that just hit bloopers for a single get weeded out).

Unfortunately on my DD's 14u team, the kids that take an "arms only" swing for contact hitting bloopers over ss or down the middle get rewarded (not slappers). They have a better BA than my DD who hits screamers but sometimes gets out either because it was a line drive, fly to the fence or hard hit grounder right to the fielder. Her BA last weekend was 416 btw with 2 doubles and a sacfly. She is one of the few that can go opposite field (RF) when needed. The fact is, the kids that have the higher BA get to play every single inning while my daughter sits, a lot. They also hit in front of her in the lineup, she is usually at the bottom.

The coach has my DD in a bit of a "competition" with another girl who is a weaker hitter. My DD gets to play Sunday if her Saturday BA is better than this girl's, it's crazy. The other girl hits a couple easy bloopers and she gets to play on Sunday while my daughter hits it to the fence and doesn't.

It's sad to see because she's starting to change her approach and hit for contact. She can do the easy single all day long but we've taught her (and her batting coach agrees) that's not the goal. How does she message this to the coach without sounding like she's complaining about playing time or putting the other girls down? He's hyper focused on productive at bats. I agree, be productive with hard hit balls but I'm not certain that he cares if it's hard hit or. a blooper. In his mind a single is a single.
Find a new team with a new coach. Not every coach will match the style of your player.

Sep 28, 2020
All would prefer a hard hit gap, but also say good teams/players can do both. Makes the player that much more of a threat. But this is also meaning all players need to be able to do this, so teams should be teaching this. This includes the power hitters.

Is this the way the game of softball is adapting too, say the same as slappers 10+ years ago? Many didn't think slapping was a thing, but they are here and still have a place in this game!

As for bunting, bunting will always have its place in softball and is accepted. Bunt to get on base, score a run, or both. Pressure on the defense. Is this soft dink not the same concept as bunting or slapping? Taking what the defense is giving?

Everyone will have a different take but looks like the dink is making its way into this game, like it or not. This is something we are considering to teach with its results. If a players can hit gaps, dinks, and bunt. That is a triple treat player. This is a game and the goal is to get on base to win games offensively.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood