Bustos - Howard Carrier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Let's try it this way...

Means - swing (rotational, linear, hybrid, bassackwards, whatever)

Objective? - seems like the "end" to me but ok.. hit the ball, get on base

End - pound your chest? I don't know.

I'm a results oriented person. Get it done. Could there potentially be a better way? Sure. Does that make that particular individual wrong when the same "objective" is met? Not at all. Even more so as it relates to hitting.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Respectable batting average, hitting the ball on the nose, being a tough out, proper timing and hitting the long ball including gapers.

Oct 14, 2008
Having a student go yard in the World Series on espn against SEC pitching ( even better that it's your own kid ).

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
All quality things that hitters try to achieve. My DD's swing is a mess but she hit over .500 in the fall without striking out with 60 some at bats. Hit a few long balls and more doubles than anything else.

If you read my post titled "I still can't breathe" in being a softball parent and watch the video, she hits the game winning hit in the regional quarter finals. She does a lot of things wrong but hits the ball hard. Right or wrong, it is effective.

That is all we shoot for. I don't see the point in belittling people. It isn't very constructive.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't see the point in belittling people. It isn't very constructive.

On this we agree. One way to keep things constructive is to keep the discussion technical. Doesn't really matter who the person is that presents the ideas ..... the Hanson Principle cares less about the source of the information.

Oct 19, 2009
All quality things that hitters try to achieve. My DD's swing is a mess but she hit over .500 in the fall without striking out with 60 some at bats. Hit a few long balls and more doubles than anything else.

If you read my post titled "I still can't breathe" in being a softball parent and watch the video, she hits the game winning hit in the regional quarter finals. She does a lot of things wrong but hits the ball hard. Right or wrong, it is effective.

That is all we shoot for. I don't see the point in belittling people. It isn't very constructive.

It is always hard to argue against success, JMO poor mechanics shows up more against the better pitching. To be champions you have to be able to hit the best pitching you will face during a tournament and the better mechanics and timing a hitter has the better chance she\he will have against the better pitchers.

Many kids are athletic enough or work hard enough they can overcome a poor swing, IMO the majority of kids needs the proper mechanics and timing to be successful against the better pitchers they will face. I like to see a hitter step into the batters box with as much advantage as they can carry.

Good luck to your daughter.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It is always hard to argue against success, JMO poor mechanics shows up more against the better pitching. To be champions you have to be able to hit the best pitching you will face during a tournament and the better mechanics and timing a hitter has the better chance she\he will have against the better pitchers.

Many kids are athletic enough or work hard enough they can overcome a poor swing, IMO the majority of kids needs the proper mechanics and timing to be successful against the better pitchers they will face. I like to see a hitter step into the batters box with as much advantage as they can carry.

Good luck to your daughter.

Well then, if you believe the experts and gurus my kid has absolutely no change of getting a hit in college.
9906001544avatar

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Now that one is funny Cannonball. Of course Bouldersdad got the same comments about Britt's swing that we all can laugh about. You are still getting beat up on that other site ! I had a conversation on this point last night. On my way to Portland Oregon to see family, it doesn't matter how I get there, as long as I get there. There are many ways as they say ( to skin a cat) . Some get so far down in the weeds they forget the goal.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Now that one is funny Cannonball. Of course Bouldersdad got the same comments about Britt's swing that we all can laugh about. You are still getting beat up on that other site ! I had a conversation on this point last night. On my way to Portland Oregon to see family, it doesn't matter how I get there, as long as I get there. There are many ways as they say ( to skin a cat) . Some get so far done in the weeds they forget the goal.

But what if the goal is to get to Portland Oregon as quickly and efficiently as possible? Add in the element of 'competition'. Now the 'means' (process) may be of concern.

How a batter arrives at contact makes a difference .... that's why many read these forums .... to get an understanding of differences .... and it is why it is best for discussions to remain focused on technical content as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom