Bunting with hands together

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I read a nice blog by Krause on bunting.

The form he advised [for holding the bat] was to keep the hands together, and have the bat slide down through your hands till your hands (staying together) approach the barrel region….and to hold the bat like that; with a full grip.

I like what he had to say, so I'm going to see how my DD's like it.

Does anyone else teach this method?

Thanks,

TJ

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Since Ken is the moderator of DFP and has the power to remove posts and me from this site. I agree.:p

Ok…how about this. Our TB coach is telling the kids to hold the bat with the left hand at the bottom…right hand up near the barrel with the thumb and finger pinched behind…with the barrel over the plate and pointed up just a small amount. What would you say about that?

Jun 11, 2013
My DD loves to bunt that way and is pretty good at it. I've read where percentage in play goes up, but I really just think it's whatever you are comfortable with. I was shocked that last year I saw Derek Jeter bunt that way in a Yankee game.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its a personal preference for my kids. Choked up with hands together will deaden the recoil a ton as well as give a quicker pull back if the pitch is out of her zone

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think it is personal preference. I never liked bunting with two hands together, I always felt I had better bat control with the hands apart but I think either style can be done very effectively.

Jun 11, 2013
I think that good teams can generally shut down small ball, but bunting in both baseball and softball is very important. Especially if you aren't a great hitter. I like the hands together for younger kids as the mass of the ball can hurt their hands. (I know if they do it right it won't). For me with the young hitters the most important thing is to learn how to get the bat out and see the contact so anything you can do to get them confident is a plus.

Feb 7, 2013
My experience is that 75% of the girls on my DDs teams over the past few years bunt with the two hands together up near rhe tapered part of the barrel (including DD). Initially she was taught by a UCLA player with the spit grip (one hand at knob, and other hand at tapered barrel) but frankly I don't think it really matters as long as the batter is comfortable with either technique and can get the ball down and place it, either technique works. I will say that the two hands together grip can expose the hands more to the pitched ball, especially a tight inside pitch so some of the younger players may have apprehension in using this technique because they are concerned about getting hit on the hands.

Aug 8, 2011
Our travel coach has all our girls trying this new/different approach with limited success. My opinion is that if the old way wasn't broke then it doesn't need fixing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad