Bunt styles - preference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In order to do this you have to lean the top half of the body out over the plate. As you have pointed out if they just pivot they are literally just in the batters box (and stabbing at the outside pitch).

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

My DD's college team had a specific play if the batter leaned over the plate. My DD threw directly (do not pass go) at the batter's head. It wasn't a called play...she was just supposed to do it.

The catcher would pop into throwing position. The batter would duck, or dive for the ground. The catcher would have a good chance to throw out the runner. Even if the runner was not thrown out the batter was much more careful about leaning over the plate.

I saw my DD do this once, before facemasks on batting helmets. Scared the batter half to death. The batter never got close to the plate again.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For sacrifice bunts, no one method is better than any other method.

Sacrifice bunting is really about bat control....catching the ball with the bat, and keeping the bat above the ball to avoid popups.

Have the batter practice hitting the ball to a target on the field...not "bunt it down 1B line" or "bunt it down 3B line". Take a bucket, lay it down with the mouth facing the batter, and have the kids bunt the ball into the bucket.

Get a little competition going. Kids concentrate more on bat control and have some fun.

Mar 7, 2016
I favor whatever provides the best chance for a successful bunt. Properly executed a proper "baseball style" bunt is no slower than the other method you describe. IME that other method is often favored by players that are afraid of getting their hands hit or simply incapable of executing a proper bunt. The defense moving early is moot if a player cannot make contact so I would only encourage the use the other method once a player has mastered a proper bunt. Sadly for the majority that is never. I think if you Hansen this you will find what you describe is not typical at the higher levels outside of elite slappers.

that other style puts both hands closer to the ball? so not sure what you mean there because the area you normally pinch the bat now has two hands there??

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like hands together. But that being said.

Try this: For RH batter, have them put on a LH glove (on their RH). Crank up the pitching machine to desired speed (fast) Tell them get in the box, prepare to bunt (low stance/bend the knees) put the glove out over the plate and catch the ball. Give them 10 to 15 reps. A lot of them will find it easy to do (some won't and they cant bunt). Take away the glove and replace with bat and tell them to catch it. Takes away the poking at it, too.

Mar 7, 2016
I like hands together. But that being said.

Try this: For RH batter, have them put on a LH glove (on their RH). Crank up the pitching machine to desired speed (fast) Tell them get in the box, prepare to bunt (low stance/bend the knees) put the glove out over the plate and catch the ball. Give them 10 to 15 reps. A lot of them will find it easy to do (some won't and they cant bunt). Take away the glove and replace with bat and tell them to catch it. Takes away the poking at it, too.

after sitting at my desk here imaging my right hand in a left glove that simulates getting the exact grip of a bunt using this style. Thanks that seems like a good drill going to give that a try

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
*shrug*

I have found that constantly pushing the message that bunting is an 'aggressive' offensive move - just like hitting - is the key to getting bunts down. Too many players let the ball control them and the bat because they think of it as hitting softly or worry the ball will go too far. See too many balls pushing the bat back or bunting too deep in the box which leads to lots of fouls and missed bunts.

You have to focus on aggressively getting out front, bunting the ball and having that aggressive mental attitude. Even if you want the ball to just go a few feet.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
agree with Marriard.

Instruction to "catch" the ball with the bat,
often leads to girls pulling the bat backward/inward as the pitch arrives.
This leads to the bat angle getting into a "slice" position,
and foul balls or pop-ups result.

I like to instruct to "go get the ball" on a bunt.
NOT a stabbing forward motion, but make contact out in front of the body,
and "knock it down" vs "catch it with the bat".
(bat head angled slightly forward)
I also instruct that the bottom hand NEVER gets higher than the top hand.
If the pitch is low, and you must still bunt (squeeze or bunt and run play in effect),
then use your legs to get low - never reach the bat head downward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez