Bunt styles - preference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
Our girls were taught to slide the bat bunt style, where the velocity of the ball pivots the bat, around the hands which are together right below the where the barrel begins, backwards and essentially catches the ball. A lot quicker than a baseball style bunt and when done right the batter can get a jump on the fielder over the other style IMO. However im noticing no matter how much we focus on mechanics and angle of the bat towards the pitcher most girls are defaulting to holding the bat level anyways and causing way too many fouls/pop backs on bunt attempts. A lot of coaches focus on watching the hands for bunts, when you slide the bat the hands stay stationary and bat just slides down mid pitch if done right.

What are your experiences on this? which style do you prefer or have more success with. One of our pickup players uses a traditional style and she is at least %75 more successful in laying one down fair but she has to square up much sooner and her on base percentage is very low unless its a fielders choice/squeeze play.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I teach the approach you use (I think we are talking about the same technique). What I have learned over the years is that some players are just better at bunting and it doesn't really matter what style they use.

I have also learned that most players think they are good at bunting when most are not.

Mar 7, 2016
I teach the approach you use (I think we are talking about the same technique). What I have learned over the years is that some players are just better at bunting and it doesn't really matter what style they use.

I have also learned that most players think they are good at bunting when most are not.

I fixed a few things after reading it again, another thing i notice is i get girls who start poking bat at the ball instead of stepping to the ball.
We work on this every single practice against everything from live to front toss and no matter what default back. Im just curious if the other style isnt more efficient.

Mar 7, 2016
Fun fact: - The greater the separation between the hands the more control of the bat.

I take it from this statement you are in favor of the baseball style of bunting? Do you notice it takes longer for them to set up using this style and gives the defense more time to react?

Mar 7, 2016
There shouldn't be any stepping (unless you are a lefty slapper).

Pivot on the balls of your feet.

we pivot on the balls like you say, but how are your batters covering the outside corners using this style of bunting. Unless you start off almost toes on the line and even then outside corner pitches are causing our girls to reach and lose form. Maybe our girls are too tight in their bat positioning.

May 17, 2012
They need to "block" the ball with their bat. Block meaning they can't see the ball because the bat is in the way.

In order to do this you have to lean the top half of the body out over the plate. As you have pointed out if they just pivot they are literally just in the batters box (and stabbing at the outside pitch).

It may sound dangerous but it's not as the pitch location will determine the lean. Start out with wiffles and move up accordingly.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I take it from this statement you are in favor of the baseball style of bunting? Do you notice it takes longer for them to set up using this style and gives the defense more time to react?
I favor whatever provides the best chance for a successful bunt. Properly executed a proper "baseball style" bunt is no slower than the other method you describe. IME that other method is often favored by players that are afraid of getting their hands hit or simply incapable of executing a proper bunt. The defense moving early is moot if a player cannot make contact so I would only encourage the use the other method once a player has mastered a proper bunt. Sadly for the majority that is never. I think if you Hansen this you will find what you describe is not typical at the higher levels outside of elite slappers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez