Bruising Hip Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2019
In search of some needed help. My daughter who is 10 was a fairly dominant and consistent pitcher in the fall and is now struggling immensely. She has began to hit her elbow on the back part of her hip while pitching. She threw over 1500 pitches in games in the fall, and never had this happened. She has grown 3 inches since then and has lost all of her control and is very frustrated. I want to help her work through this, and I have padded her up in an effort to ease the pain. When we visited her instructor, she began to examine her arm circle saying that it had a lot of issues. She has always brushed her side while pitching, so my question is, with her current growth could it be that she is struggling because there is something in the way of the path her arm used to travel (1/2”-1” hip spread) so now she is striking herself? If this is the case do we really need to start from scratch examining her arm circle and l/or elbow bend? She has thrown speeds in the low 50’s before this occurred with typical game speed of 45 with good spin. I can post a video if someone lets me know how, it says all of my files are too large! Any input would be great, the only other thing I can offer is we have been bouncing between the 11” and 12” ball and the 35’ and 40’ distances and most of the hits to the hip seem to be occurring when she is throwing the 11” ball which is where she has almost all of her experience.

May 5, 2019

Attached is a link to her form from last fall, it looks the same with more arm/elbow to hip contact now will update shortly

May 5, 2019
<iframe width="584" height="329" src="//www.hudl.com/technique/video/embed/iLJTaJDF" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The latest one...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In the first clip, I’m seeing her release too far from the body and it looks like the boney point of the elbow is right at the hip bone. The cause appears to be from excessive shoulder rotation. If my guess turned out to be correct, I’d work on keeping the shoulders aligned with the hips at release and might even ask her to release closer to her thigh. These corrections would allow her to get the elbow tucked in behind the hip bone and create better brush. Kind of like this:

0B126F11-E0EF-46C6-A3E1-9B612E0BC8FD.jpeg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
(This response is based on the first clip in this thread...). From that angle, her arm circle looks very good.

When you get a chance, stand in place with good posture and let your arms relax at your sides. Most folks will find that the elbow will be somewhere near, or just behind the hip bone. Next, rotate your shoulders about twenty degrees counter clockwise and note where the elbow is.

Fix the misalignment and it will help (based on what I think I’m seeing in the first clip...)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi