Bruised Elbow Picture Thoughts ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My DD pitched 6 Fri, 6 Sat, 8 Sun, 8 Mon.

Not a ton of innings, but more than she has been pitching ... she is 14.

Light light discoloration Sun night .. by 4th inning Monday her elbow hurt.

We iced, Motrin, several times Tues Wed ... no pitching throing batting.

Today we went out ...throwing overhand hard with no pain at at all.
Started pitching warm ups and she said it hurt enough to not want to pitch (must hurt as she loves to pitch)

Hoping not tendon or muscular ... she does tend to clip her body with her arm ...

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 188_2294..jpg
    188_2294..jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 188_2291..jpg
    188_2291..jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, I would have been afraid that blood was pooling and we would have headed for the ER as soon as i saw that discoloration.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
First thought is to take her to the doctor - better safe than sorry.

My DD used to clip her hip with her elbow and it gave her a HUGE bruise on her hip. Doc said no damage, just a bruise. She started wearing a girdle and her PC worked with her on some mechanics and here we are many moons later with no bruise and a couple MPH higher due to better mechanics.

After the doctor, I would talk to her PC about her mechanics?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Bruise is fading turning colors quickly.
A few months ago she got one on her hip .. now no hip but elbow.

Yes, will work on mechanics. Think she might be closing hips too soon ...
Will need a few more days before she pitches.

She was pretty tired as she hasn't had to pitch this much .. got a bit sloppy to compensate

Maybe an elbow band/sleeve will help while correcting mechanics.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hey pots. The arm circle is like a hula-hoop. Her hula-hopop needs to come away from her body an inch or two farther. It's too close.

I hope you dont have a dork instructor that says "Make sure your arm brushes your ear". Biggest cause of that. Keep a slight bend in the elbow through the emtire circle too.

Hal

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
Bruise is fading turning colors quickly.
A few months ago she got one on her hip .. now no hip but elbow.

Yes, will work on mechanics. Think she might be closing hips too soon ...
Will need a few more days before she pitches.

She was pretty tired as she hasn't had to pitch this much .. got a bit sloppy to compensate

Maybe an elbow band/sleeve will help while correcting mechanics.

MR. Potts,
The key here is to learn how to effectively brush the hip/ not to get the arm further from the hip necessarily. In looking at the pictures it looks like from the bruise position that the elbow bone is making the main contact with the hip instead of the fleshy upper inside of the forearm; so there needs to be a little more internal rotation of the arm to establish the effective needed contact with the hip to trigger a consistent release point ( avoiding harsh contact with the elbow bone ) and recognize the hips are not closing, as so many teach,but are stable as the arm brushes with the belly button facing at a 45 degree to home plate. Until that contact point is clearly learned through partial delivery drills, and some healing time, it is premature to be attempting to pitch full speed and full distance. Good luck !

Jul 14, 2008
I don't like the looks of that at all.........It seems TOO LONG to be simple contact with the hip.......

Has it begun to heel?..........If not.......A trip to the Doc may be in order.........

My DD pitched 6 Fri, 6 Sat, 8 Sun, 8 Mon.

Not a ton of innings, but more than she has been pitching ... she is 14.

Light light discoloration Sun night .. by 4th inning Monday her elbow hurt.

We iced, Motrin, several times Tues Wed ... no pitching throing batting.

Today we went out ...throwing overhand hard with no pain at at all.
Started pitching warm ups and she said it hurt enough to not want to pitch (must hurt as she loves to pitch)

Hoping not tendon or muscular ... she does tend to clip her body with her arm ...

Any thoughts?

Mar 13, 2010
Even if it hasn't PLEASE go to the doctor. Yesterday.

Something like that is not normal. Get an expert's opinion.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Hey pots. The arm circle is like a hula-hoop. Her hula-hopop needs to come away from her body an inch or two farther. It's too close.

I hope you dont have a dork instructor that says "Make sure your arm brushes your ear". Biggest cause of that. Keep a slight bend in the elbow through the emtire circle too.

Hal

LOL... I'm the dork instructor ! LOL
(we have 5 kids with one income, no PC at the moment)

No I do not suggest that she brushes her ear or body with her "Hoola Hoop". Supposed to be close, but I have not taught her to brush/hit body ...

She is definitely cutting too close to her body .... I will go back to pitching video ... think she is closing hip too soon and arm too close to body as well.

Bruise is fading & turning colors .. she can swing a bat, throw overhand ... goof around with friends, etc ...
a little tender to the touch ...
we can lightly play with motion/mechanics without pitching full speed ... but will probably pad it to protect ...
icing Motrin several times a day since Monday night.

I asked her to "air pitch" last night .. said arm didn't hurt ...
I wasn't 100% convinced ....

I've seen other pitchers with leg, hip and elbow bruising at tournaments and they are pitching game after game....
I would be uncomfortable with letting my DD continually getting bruises and having her pitch week after week.

This is the first elbow bruise ... the hip bruise was only a one weekend thing and we worked on that right away ... but the hip isn't as tender as the elbow !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves