Brooke vs my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Work on sequencing Howser and not "forcing" the movements. I would suggest doing some high tee drills also to create the feel of not letting her hands drop and that should also help create a better feel of the hands resisting that you can build off of.

I have a hunch that once she understands the feel she'll make gd progress because she's obviously athletic enough.

Good. Will do. That makes sense.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry I disagree...Forget about whether the ball was low or high. Do you not see or get the feeling that the front side is pulling your DD's hands and bat.
tumblr_p3le0ljk2y1usf292o1_250.gif

Your DD needs to get out of her comfort zone(thxs bluedog).
tumblr_p3livyXTYM1usf292o1_250.gif

Even in a 'good swing' the lead side will 'pull'.

The sequence and hand-path need work. This has a look of Shift-THEN-Swing.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you not see or get the feeling that the front side is pulling your DD's hands and bat.
I was trying to be nice. I wanted to say
Do you not see or get the feeling that the front side is dragging your DD's hands and bat. It looks like a form of 'bat drag' to me.

Apr 11, 2015
tumblr_p3lebtkbNs1usf292o1_400.gif

Looking at this gif what do you get the 'feel' that is swinging/pulling the bat forward.
I'll give you more if you want but, I wasn't sure you liked my opinion.
She loads with her shoulders instead of her hips...and has no other choice but to pull the bat forward with the shoulders, arms, and hands...instead of launching it with the lower half (hips).
Compare her load to Brooke who loads between the "bottom of the top", and the "top of the bottom"....instead of at the waist as this hitter is doing. Just my amateur take on it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was trying to be nice. I wanted to say
Do you not see or get the feeling that the front side is dragging your DD's hands and bat. It looks like a form of 'bat drag' to me.

Thank you Rdb.

This dragging action will continue until she learns to use her core properly.

There is no 'overlap' ... instead there is 'use the front-side to drag the barrel forward'.

The answer imo is not to simply stop using the front-side, but to learn the core action.

She would benefit from learning this here ....

Pujols_Rear_Viewx.gif

Pivot_The_Swing.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
To add to MB's post ... the "initial axis of rotation" of the barrel is about the shoulders. In a 'good swing' the "initial axis of rotation" of the barrel is the lower rear back.

Sep 29, 2014
I think the biggest thing you can see is focusing on the hands, back elbow, shoulder and barrel. Her hands go back and around not just back, her back elbow drops as it goes back and stays down never come back up, her shoulders also following the hand go around and never tilt and the never gets to barrel pointing towards the field. I'll find stills in a sec and post next.. and I still really think it would be helpful to see exactly what adjustment she makes to hitting a pitch that is inner half just about at her bellybutton....she has to be doing something unless she literally never hits anything inner above the belt. Right now I would really focus on getting her to understand and then feel the difference between going back, coiling and having separation versus going back and around right now everything is AROUND and it's never going to become a high level swing that way.

apearound.jpg Chamberlin.JPGdonaldsontoetouch.JPGhitter foot plant.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
I think I’m seeing what DJ referenced - to me it looks like her hands get trapped behind her rear shoulder, and therefore uses the front shoulder to pull (drag?) everything around.

Is arm bar an issue here? Is the preference to just load the hands back towards the catcher, or a combination towards the catcher and rotating away from the plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
I think I’m seeing what DJ referenced - to me it looks like her hands get trapped behind her rear shoulder, and therefore uses the front shoulder to pull (drag?) everything around.

Is arm bar an issue here? Is the preference to just load the hands back towards the catcher, or a combination towards the catcher and rotating away from the plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arm bar has nothing to do with it (Lauren's arm actually looks more in a barred position but her swing fairly compact)...it has to do with the positioning at point when she is back as far as she goes...which in her case involves rotating around too much...focus on back shoulder even though her front should look similar to model players her back shoulder has rotated away her hands have followed back around, elbow is low and stays there and bat is laying flat. I preach this position as an absolute must position all elite hitters get here and those that don't aren't elite! She really needs to FEEL this position and then replicate it every pitch.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Give her hands something to do besides load the scap. Maybe a throwing analogie will work. But her hands are buried behind her causing that pulling with the shoulders and arms instead of pulling with the lower half . That's my amateur opinion. A good throwing model always seems to work in hitting , golf ( after I hit a drive in the woods) or when I want to tease my dog with his favorite ball. Haha. (Sorry I'm bored waiting for a tow truck). Good luck !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00