Books for team reading...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
I'm looking for some books for my high school team to read in the off season. Any suggestions?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A Glove of Their Own (find it on Facebook) It is written in prose and is a foundation that supplies ball gloves to needy children. I gave a copy, to one of my 9 yo baseball students and he said that everyone that comes in the house reads it. It is only about 20 pages, so it can be passed from girl to girl. The illustrations tell as much as the story does.

Oct 25, 2009
Many good books out there; some not good.

Softball Skills and Drills by Judi Garman is one of the best. It covers the fundamentals really well.
Coaching Fastpitch Softball Successfully by Kathy J. Veroni. It's also excellent for teaching the correct fundamentals.

Those are two of the best for the HS level and higher. Actually from Rec and higher as far as that goes. You can't go wrong with either of those books.

Note: for advanced discussions of state-of-the-art skills this site is about the best you can ask for.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
A couple books for the older player(s) or coach.

This book was recommended by some of the posters here and I loved it my daughter was 15 at the time had to force herself to read it and her friend like myself like the book who was the same age as my daughter. The book is called the Talent Code. The is a book where the writer visits different facilities that produce the better talents in sports, music and students and looks for the common ground of these facilities and what makes them successful.

The other was recommended by a D1 college coach and advised it was required reading for his players, the book is called the Mind Gym. It is about how to prepare you mentally for competition, important at bats, or making that presser play with the game on the line.

Mind Gym
Mind gym: an athlete's guide to inner excellence [Book]

The Talent Code
About The Book « The Talent Code

Oct 25, 2009

This book was recommended by some of the posters here and I loved it my daughter was 15 at the time had to force herself to read it and her friend like myself like the book who was the same age as my daughter. The book is called the Talent Code. The is a book where the writer visits different facilities that produce the better talents in sports, music and students and looks for the common ground of these facilities and what makes them successful.

The other was recommended by a D1 college coach and advised it was required reading for his players, the book is called the Mind Gym. It is about how to prepare you mentally for competition, important at bats, or making that presser play with the game on the line.

Mind Gym

The Talent Code

Mind Gym I bought. The Talent Code I ordered and scanned at Barnes & Noble. Both good books.

If you live near a Barnes & Noble there is a bountiful supply of books on the subjects of Baseball, Softball, and related Conditioning. Wish there was easier access to video instruction.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Perhaps in the off-season, the kids should read something with a little more substance than "how to throw a softball" or "1st and 3rd Plays for Dummies". You don't post an age for the team, so you must address the issue of age appropriateness for the books.

My list:

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (the greatest American novel)
  • Hamlet by William Shakespeare (the greatest play...ever).
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Parents are always looking for that mysterious green light in right field.)
  • The First Forty-Nine Stories by Ernest Hemingway (some might consider him sexist and violent, but he has a very lean, beautiful writing style--I highly recommend 'Big Two Hearted River' and 'Hills Like White Elephants').
  • Boryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  • Pentimento by Lillian Hellman
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot (penname of Mary Anne Evans)
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

If you want something more useful for working within a softball organization, try "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Perhaps in the off-season, the kids should read something with a little more substance than "how to throw a softball" or "1st and 3rd Plays for Dummies". You don't post an age for the team, so you must address the issue of age appropriateness for the books.

My list:

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (the greatest American novel)
  • Hamlet by William Shakespeare (the greatest play...ever).
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Parents are always looking for that mysterious green light in right field.)
  • The First Forty-Nine Stories by Ernest Hemingway (some might consider him sexist and violent, but he has a very lean, beautiful writing style--I highly recommend 'Big Two Hearted River' and 'Hills Like White Elephants').
  • Boryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  • Pentimento by Lillian Hellman
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot (penname of Mary Anne Evans)
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

If you want something more useful for working within a softball organization, try "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli.

What is your reasoning for The Prince being useful for softball?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL

Mind Gym

The Talent Code

I've read both and they are definitely excellent. The Talent Code is inspiring in a way because it shows you anyone with enough desire can become great. Mind Gym is probably a little more accessible to a high school reader.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've read both and they are definitely excellent. The Talent Code is inspiring in a way because it shows you anyone with enough desire can become great. Mind Gym is probably a little more accessible to a high school reader.

So Mind Gym is ok for HS reader and the other book is more suited for her Dad?

Mar 13, 2010

LOL.

Are there any fiction softball books out there for the girls? I was a voracious reader as a teenager but all the books I read were about gymnastics and netball players. No books were written about softball players. (it's one of the reasons I can recite 'A Legaue Of Their Own' from memory. It's one of the few sports movies that is purely about women. The other sports movies I loved that were about kids were mainly focused on the boys with a few supporting female characters. How I loved Connie)