Best Tee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The new Jugs tanner style tee looks nice. Heavy rubber covered base for gym floors looks nice.

If I was going to try a heavy base tee I'd probably try the Tanner Heavy version first. Like the idea that it can sit in the plate. The tees I use at home just have a 10# Olympic plate on them.

Don't know how much you have used tees but tee placement can make or break your training, here is a very detailed (and I think effective) guide from Howard Carrier:

Here are the measurements :The hitting net is marked with (2) two horizontal lines one line at 51 inches high and another line at 39 inches high, as measured from the floor. The hitting net is also marked with one vertical line down the middle. Paint the 51 inch and 39 inch lines black and paint the middle of the two line red also paint the vertical line black. The Tee is setup to represent a down the middle pitch and is positioned about to 2 to 3 inches forward of Home plate. Tee is set up 4 ½ feet from the net, and 29 ½ inches high. With this setup the 51 inches horizontal line on the net represents a 26 degree angle from the top of the tee, while the 39 inch line represents a 10 degree angle from the top of the tee. If the ball is hit at the 39 inch line, it would make the ball at 86 feet which is second base for softball, the ball would be about 8 to 10 feet high and at the 51 inch line possible out of the park. Provided the middle of the ball is hit with about a 8 to 10 degree up swing. Always line up off the back corner of home plate the length of a bat. We lay the bat down on the back corner of home plate with the sweet spot on the plate. We stand /set up to hit at the end of the handle of the lay downed bat as a reference point so we are consistent when determining where the ball hit’s the net when doing Tee work. Difficult to establish bat control without having a place to set up that would make hitting a ball off the tee in a fixed position repeatable in my opinion. When done correctly and when hitting up the middle the ball should hit in the zone and be close to the vertical line.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Jugs has a package that includes a tall and short T with one base. It is excellent in quality and function.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Had someone ask me about a tee before this past Sunday's practice, I would have 100% said a Tanner's tee everyday of the week! At Sunday's practice, one of the coaches brings out two brand new Jugs tees, VERY nice tees!!

Feb 14, 2014
So apparently last week, I left our Tanner tee at the practice field :(. Dd10 moves up to 12u next year. She's already 5'1". I can get the taller tee for $80 plus free shipping on Amazon or the short one for $80 plus $12.20 shipping. Advice on which to buy?

May 4, 2014
So Cal
If shes moving up to 12s and shes 5'1 get the taller tee... I lost my tall Tanner and ended up buying the short one as I have midgets for kids and have one in 8U still but my 12U and 14U will not be able to use the short tanner for high pitches... it depends what your kid struggles with more... mine had more problems with low pitches so the short one worked better and is more usable by the 8U crew

Apr 26, 2015
We have a Jugs tee...it is a really nice tee. DD's coach likes it better than the Tanner tees he has for the team.

Dec 11, 2010
If shes moving up to 12s and shes 5'1 get the taller tee... I lost my tall Tanner and ended up buying the short one as I have midgets for kids and have one in 8U still but my 12U and 14U will not be able to use the short tanner for high pitches... it depends what your kid struggles with more... mine had more problems with low pitches so the short one worked better and is more usable by the 8U crew

All you need is a 1" diameter 12" length galvanized pipe nipple ($5) and a 1" coupling ($1.25) from any Menards or Home Depot to make it taller.

The thing the tee screws into on the base is a 1" floor flange. All basic plumbing stuff you can get anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00