Best Exercises for Pitchers???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello Everyone,

Considering that some pitchers are prone to injuring their arms and/or rotator cuffs - what are the best exercises a young pitcher can do to prevent injury? (Specifically for ages 13 to 15).

Also, what are the best exercises for building explosive pitching power or speed? (Specifically for ages 13 to 15).

A.D.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Barry Lovelace has a DVD called pitchers pop training... its specifically designed for a fastpitch pitcher with a heavy concentration on legs and core with bungee cords and medicine balls.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
First off, it's never a case of a particular pitcher, age group of pitchers, etc., that are prone to injuries. IT IS ALWAYS A CASE OF 'HOW' THEY WERE TAUGHT TO PITCH THAT CAUSES THEM TO GET INJURED.

Want to strengthen the shoulders, core and arms? ROWING.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
After making the throwing mechanics generally "correct" what I can emphatically suggest are these three areas of concern for exercise:

1. Core
2. More core.
3. Did I mention core??

(to be clear core MUST have huge focus on lowers to keep the pelvis from twisting out of whack - my "strong" DD experiencing issues with this now..... You can't be too strong in the lower abs from my perspective.)

Jul 17, 2012
In my opinion proper warm up, and stretching are musts. DD is not allowed to throw a single pitch until she's done all of her pre-pitch stretches, starting with some static stretches, then some dynamic stretches. Then start out warming up the throwing arm with alternating overhand and underhand throws. She does about 20 of each, starting soft and gradually ramping up to pitching speed. Works for her, not once has she ever complained of a sore arm.

As for explosive power. Lightly weighted dead lifts using 10-15% of their body weight for resistance in the form of dumbells. Lunges, using 0-10% of their body weight for resistance, once again using dumbells. Step ups (no resistance needed). This is where you step up onto something, like a chair with one foot, and then extend that leg hard to the point you're on your tippy toe, with the oppoite knee coming up to the chest. The "Step" should be about 2/3rds the height of her knee, otherwise it will put undue stress on the hip and it will be a slow extension. The object is to find a height that allows them to expode up fast, not labor to get their foot up onto the step. I was hell bent against ANY weight for a 10yo athlete, but my wife being in the med field asked some of the pediatric surgeions at work, and they recommended the weight percentages, as well as a good stretch after any weight training, especially during the growing years.

After that, I'm with RubberBiscuit... core, core and more core. Planks are great. Also, as you work the Abdominals and obliques, don't forget the posterior core muscles. "Supermans" are great for that.

Last edited:

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
FrozenRope's suggestions are good. While being taught poor pitching mechanics is a big contributor to injury, don't fool yourself that a kid who is being taught excellent mechanics is in the clear; you're absolutely right to be concerned about training at this stage. Learning solid mechanics is step one, and step two is preparing the body to SUPPORT those mechanics. If the pitcher isn't strong enough to pitch right, she won't and she'll get hurt.

One of the most common areas of concern in young teenage girls is hip stability, and it also happens to be very important for windmill pitching. Other than that, core is absolutely critical, and GLUTES are probably the most critical. They contribute to hip stability and are a huge factor in pitching power. I'd focus mostly on the core and lower body without targeting arms too much; the rotator cuff/shoulder injuries you mentioned typically come from excess movement in the upper body, which occurs when the upper body is compensating for weakness in the lower body. To FR's suggestions I'd add squats and hip bridges.

Even if you're looking to do this on your own I'd strongly recommend getting the kid to a trainer once or twice just to ensure she's got proper form, or else the exercises themselves can cause injury. At the very least find some online videos of a good trainer demonstrating. PM me if you want some specific suggestions.

B

Bradyn

Hey thank you for highlighting this thing i have got some really good info about exercising for pitching from the people who have answerd it.
Appreciate you guys for superb replies its gonna help me.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
First off, it's never a case of a particular pitcher, age group of pitchers, etc., that are prone to injuries. IT IS ALWAYS A CASE OF 'HOW' THEY WERE TAUGHT TO PITCH THAT CAUSES THEM TO GET INJURED.

Want to strengthen the shoulders, core and arms? ROWING.

Another ignorant and out dated statement made by HAL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid