Best catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Over three years ago I did an exhaustive search finding the best gear. I took me a couple of months. I came to the conclusion that the two best sets of gear were:

1. Wilson ProMotion
2. All-Star System 7

I got the Wilson ProMotion Chest and Legs in School Ball colors (they didn't have TB colors)
I then got the All-Star System 7 Helmet In the two tone White/Black

Dec 19, 2012
What were the factors you considered to determine "best"?

Protection, construction, ergonomics, materials, etc. I had my dd with me and she would put the stuff on, crouch down, act like she was throwing.....stuff like that. She did not drop to her knees to simulate blocking for fear of scratching up the leg guards. Cost was not a factor. Some determing factors that put the Wilson over the All-Star was the chest protector (she really liked the way it moved with her) and the look/color (she did not care for white). She liked the leg guards and the helmet equally for fit, but liked that the ProMotion face mask was furter away from her eyes. I was fine if she went with the All-Star set because it truly was top notch. They are both very nice sets. I don't think All-Star makes the System 7 chest and legs anymore. It looks like it's been replaced with the Vela line.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Protection, construction, ergonomics, materials, etc. I had my dd with me and she would put the stuff on, crouch down, act like she was throwing.....stuff like that. She did not drop to her knees to simulate blocking for fear of scratching up the leg guards. Cost was not a factor. Some determing factors that put the Wilson over the All-Star was the chest protector (she really liked the way it moved with her) and the look/color (she did not care for white). She liked the leg guards and the helmet equally for fit, but liked that the ProMotion face mask was furter away from her eyes. I was fine if she went with the All-Star set because it truly was top notch. They are both very nice sets. I don't think All-Star makes the System 7 chest and legs anymore. It looks like it's been replaced with the Vela line.

Cool. I like the research. Besides Wilson and All-Star, what other brands did you test?

The All-Star part numbers for the "Vela" gear still include an "S7" designation. My understanding is that it's a name change more than a structural change.

Oct 16, 2014
…….I don't think All-Star makes the System 7 chest and legs anymore. It looks like it's been replaced with the Vela line.

I was able to get system 7 leg guards on close out (actually I pieced together a whole system 7 set from closeouts, and only paid about half what the Vela set would cost)…for anyone interested in snapping some up

System 7

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have found that the Schutt lets the air flow thru pretty well on hot days and is lightweight, for
moderately priced gear it is a good value too

I haven't spent any significant time with the Schutt helmets, but my DD did use S3 leg and Scorpion chest for a while. I will agree that the gear is good, but we have found that the All-Star is a step up. The improvement does come at an increased cost, however.

Dec 19, 2012
Cool. I like the research. Besides Wilson and All-Star, what other brands did you test?

The All-Star part numbers for the "Vela" gear still include an "S7" designation. My understanding is that it's a name change more than a structural change.

Easton Synge, Diamond iX5, Rawlings, Under Armor, Louisville Slugger TPS Valkyrie, Mizuno Samauri, Schutt Scorpion, plus a couple I'm probably forgetting. That reminds me, if anyone wants a decent complete set for under $200 check out Louisville Slugger.

Thanks for the clarification on All-Star.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Big fan of the All-Star gear (including their helmets), but because of their unique features and tech. I'd humbly suggest taking a look at both Wilson and Schutt helmets before making a final decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32