Best catcher's gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
If money were no issue, what gear would you buy your daughter? We currently have Schutt Scorpion that's only a few months old but a friend said to go with All star. .. his daughter loves it and was recommended by the school she will be playing for. He said it was worth the money. DD seemed to get her knees pretty bruised up and is somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs (if that matters)

Oct 10, 2011
I'm not even sure where to try them out or just order them like the Schutt (which also was highly recommended) I just don't know how big a difference there is between the different gear. I just know she will have a grueling schedule coming up however she will be starting out playing 1 or 2 a week at first but they are hoping she takes over the job quickly.

Mar 18, 2015
Tennessee
My daughter uses the Wilson Promotion gear as well. It's specifically designed for females and fits her very well. It also looks pretty sharp. I just wish they'd let you do custom colors like the colleges get

Oct 10, 2011
nice

My daughter uses the Wilson Promotion gear as well. It's specifically designed for females and fits her very well. It also looks pretty sharp. I just wish they'd let you do custom colors like the colleges get
That is a nice looking set.

Jan 24, 2009
Just went thru this with my son. Once again this time around, we decided that the 'best' catcher's gear was a bastard set where we bought the best leg guards, the best chest protector, and the best helmet/mask. Individual pieces combined to produce the best 'set' IMO, though there are three different brands in the mix. All are color coordinated and look great together but it took some leg work.

The mitt is another brand, and his cleats are yet another, but the complete package is great!

Gd luck IML.

Oct 10, 2011
thanks

Just went thru this with my son. Once again this time around, we decided that the 'best' catcher's gear was a bastard set where we bought the best leg guards, the best chest protector, and the best helmet/mask. Individual pieces combined to produce the best 'set' IMO, though there are three different brands in the mix. All are color coordinated and look great together but it took some leg work.

The mitt is another brand, and his cleats are yet another, but the complete package is great!

Gd luck IML.
Thanks Vdubya. I just had to buy new cleats today. DD caught a fly ball at the fence and the bottom of the fence caught the top of her cleat and tore a huge hole in them.
I think I'll start by getting new shin gaurds. Just have to figure out who's got the best.
It looks like the Wilson's Promotion are a bit more expensive then the Allstars Velo pro fastpitch.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
I agree wholeheartedly with vdubya......go with individual pieces. Both my kids have "sets" made up from different companies. Don't be afraid to shop the previous model year as well to get some great deals. For fastpitch, I'm a huge fan of the Wilson stuff. Their baseball stuff looks great as well, but they don't make it small enough for my son at this point.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Got the DD the Schutt Scorpion S3.2 gear. Shifted from Easton. The comfort of the helmet is what she loves the most. Love the ventilated and reversible chest protector too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1