Best ball for tunnel pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
At the local facility, I see the instructors use all kinds of ball for fuller to full-length tunnel pitching, even pitching-machine balls (as they are adults and former pitchers), but what is the best ball for use by the team's pitcher on real-length tunnel pitching to batters?

I see the pitchers doing it: Not lite flite and doubt they are Jugs softies. I see the girls can bounce them off the floor, and they sound different when hit. These team pitchers did NOT use a screen. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
The team must hate their pitchers if they don't use a screen ;(

I can only guess that they're using softie balls. Here's a link to the Jugs version but Wilson and Worth also make similiar products. In most cases, the balls have black and red laces, only the Jugs has normal red laces like real softballs: Jugs Sports 12" Softie Yellow Softball | Softball.com

The indoor facility that my daughter takes lessons from uses these for younger girls, and also for infield drills with older girls before progressing to "the real thing". They bounce just fine on a firm floor, and do sound different (more of a heavier thud then a sharp crack). Most kids HATE pitching them, because it throws their grip off, they can't spin them well (no flick factor), and the weight is slightly off.

What's so hard about using a screen anyway?

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC