Beginning Catcher's Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'm the rec ball coach so what I've been teaching is what I've learned from clinics and others who are more experienced than myself. I wanted to learn more from the more experienced travel coaches, but it seems like that may be difficult, at least on this topic.

I did make a mention last night at travel practice about positional practicing and if they want DD to catch during the game you have to give her reps in practice and not yell at her during the game for doing something that she was never taught. I have taught her to throw everytime someone steals, but apparently the travel coach does not want the catchers to do that for some reason, although the video from the games show the other catchers throwing on bobbles. I've told DD to follow whatever the coaches tell her. But she already sees that there are favorites on the team, and she's not one of them. It will be a learning experience for her in all aspects, and we'll widen our search for travel teams next year.

Sep 3, 2009
I've found that in this sport, the catcher position is the without a doubt the least understood of all the positions. There is so much bad info out there. Go through the season and talk with coaches and parents, you'll get a better feel for teams/coaches by tryout time.

Feb 24, 2010
I'm learning, very quickly, that not all travel teams, nor coaches, are up to date on instruction. It looks like DD will be in LF for the travel team, even though the other parents and her teammates ask why she isn't C or 3B. I told her she can learn the outfield there and we'll take care of the infield on the rec team. She also pitches for the rec team, and she knows she's a better pitcher than the travel team pitchers and that frustrates her too. But it's only U10, and it's her first year of travel so we're taking this year as a learning experience - both on and off the field.

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone. I'm sure I'll be back asking questions on other topics as well.

Now if we can get the snow melted . . . .

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish