Beginners Stride Length

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
However long it is.... One of the most important aspects is balance. So if a pitcher is trying very hard to reach a specific stride length they may become unbalanced...

My pitcher pitch, we mark their stride length... Outside we mark it in the dirt, inside we use tape. Then we just increase gradually, I mean very gradually, just a couple inches and so on. They usually reach the first mark easily then as they consistently hit that stride length we add the next stride length goal.

Hope that helps. But I don't think putting a number on it helps, I think it has to be what works for that pitcher at that specific time with a goal to increase every week by an inch or more if they are so lucky. But if they start to lose any balance, then we stop and return to the previous length and then try again the following week.

Mar 13, 2010
As others said putting a number defeats the purpose. You'll have some who struggle with the number and others who hit it easily and don't push themselves as a result.

Marking their first length and then trying to beat it is the best idea.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I was waiting for everyone else to ask this but that is apperently not going to happen.

Is she a step style or a leap and drag pitcher?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad