Starting girls from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Video this season absolutely confirmed they do NOT have good basic mechanics. Lol. But it sounds like you would absolutely emphasize I/R over body awareness, etc., for lack of better term? I just ask because in learning myself, I suppose I hammered home I/R pieces for a long, long time, before moving into drills, but I felt like I learned more/got more bang for the buck by learning drills to emphasize leg drive, etc., versus lock it in, etc.
For me, I would focus on leg drive last. My 12YO can probably hit 40 just playing catch underhand. Maybe 43-45 by focusing more on arm speed. Her top speed via a walk through is 48 or 49. For a beginner, a strong leg drive might help with speed, but may not help with mechanics. I see lots of beginners at the JV and 6-8th grade level that leap out, but are still lobbing the ball in.

To borrow your term, good basic mechanics = effortless velocity. You're clearly not ready to give up on them - so keep trying different cues with different players. I like the Boardmember video where he just holds the end of a bat, and swings it back and forth - palm up behind him (9:00), palm down in front (follow through past the belly button). That's the feeling you're looking for. If the lock-it-in drill (with a ball) isn't clicking with them, try it with a bat!

Nov 26, 2019
For me, I would focus on leg drive last. My 12YO can probably hit 40 just playing catch underhand. Maybe 43-45 by focusing more on arm speed. Her top speed via a walk through is 48 or 49. For a beginner, a strong leg drive might help with speed, but may not help with mechanics. I see lots of beginners at the JV and 6-8th grade level that leap out, but are still lobbing the ball in.

To borrow your term, good basic mechanics = effortless velocity. You're clearly not ready to give up on them - so keep trying different cues with different players. I like the Boardmember video where he just holds the end of a bat, and swings it back and forth - palm up behind him (9:00), palm down in front (follow through past the belly button). That's the feeling you're looking for. If the lock-it-in drill (with a ball) isn't clicking with them, try it with a bat!
Thank you!!

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Utilize body momentum from simple walk-thru's and 2 step (see Java), @60-70 %, to help girls accidentally/intentionally get into properish(?) form. Having mother nature help you will start the ball rolling sooner. Added benefit is they won't be as quickly tired out so will be able to work on the feel of pitching longer.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Video this season absolutely confirmed they do NOT have good basic mechanics. Lol. But it sounds like you would absolutely emphasize I/R over body awareness, etc., for lack of better term? I just ask because in learning myself, I suppose I hammered home I/R pieces for a long, long time, before moving into drills, but I felt like I learned more/got more bang for the buck by learning drills to emphasize leg drive, etc., versus lock it in, etc.
I use 'lock it in' when I start to teach IR. Once they 'get it' then I rarely go back to it unless they need a reminder. That is how it is for most drills, I use them to teach a specific part of the motion and once the the desired action is learned the drill is no longer needed. There is probably a debate in here about what is considered a drill, for instance I wouldn't consider walk-ins a drill.

Nov 26, 2019
I use 'lock it in' when I start to teach IR. Once they 'get it' then I rarely go back to it unless they need a reminder. That is how it is for most drills, I use them to teach a specific part of the motion and once the the desired action is learned the drill is no longer needed. There is probably a debate in here about what is considered a drill, for instance I wouldn't consider walk-ins a drill.
Agreed. I see walk-ins as a part of every warm-up. Ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478