Handling COVID Vaccines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
"as of right now, these are the guidelines we are playing under (fall back to your governing body or venue's policies) - there's a chance in the future those guidelines might change, but that's what we're under right now"

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
You did not read where I said, "...specifying that vaccine status would not impact eligibility to play". I'm not going to hold something like this against a girl, likely because there are many kids who DO want the vaccine but whose parents refuse to let them get it (and I'm sure vice versa as well).

It meant that said town did not require any restrictions (no masks, no logs of attendees, etc) to use their field - literally what I typed was what they told me. They were very lax about the matter, to my surprise. Many local towns had much more stringent policies in place.

The whole purpose of this is to prepare for a situation where this MAY become necessary information due to local/town regulations. As a coach, I'd rather be proactive than reactive. I'm not asking for copies of cards or divulging anything. If it meant everyone has to wear masks, I'm fine with that. I'd rather have safe and healthy players for everyone's sake vs. anything else.

No, I did indeed read that part, lol.

You said you are a rec coach. Are you part of a larger rec league/Parks and rec department or do you run this team independently? I only ask because I can't imagine any larger league/organization likes their coaches making up their own COVID guidelines and handing out healthcare questionnaires.

I am just having a hard time understanding why you feel this is necessary.

Jun 1, 2015
It's a combination of two things. There is a summer rec. league in this area (upstate NY) that runs from the end of June through the end of July/first week of August.

In terms of the LEAGUE, we agreed as a group on some basic protocols for COVID-19 safety last year. Basically, "Do as your schools/communities require you to do." If Town A requires masks, then all games played in Town A required masked players/adults, even if visiting Town B doesn't require it at their own fields. There were no issues brought to my attention - we have a really solid group of coaches. No towns ended up requiring masks, and nobody was forced to wear them (totally optional - some girls and adults still chose to, which was fine).

In terms of TEAMS, teams were left to do what they chose to do outside of town requirements. My town did not require masks, vaccines, or any form of precautions, but this could also be due to vaccines not being widely available at THAT time (or they didn't feel it necessary). Honestly, I don't have any issue with just asking the Town for their requirements, having all of my players follow this regardless of vaccine status (as is currently happening here in NY), and going from there. With them having been so vague this past season, I'm not sure if they'll be any more clear 5 months from now, so I guess I would rather take a proactive approach vs. a reactive one.

Jun 1, 2015
Completely valid points, and if it is, I'm not taking any offense or worry over it. Just gaining some insight. I know it's a tricky topic, but there are some good-intentioned individuals here who provide differing viewpoints that help in the short and long-run. I also have 5 months to go - who knows where we'll all be with this pandemic in 5 months. Maybe it'll just go away on its own.. :p

Jun 1, 2015
honest, i would reactively pull team and play at different locale before allow them to start mandates on outdoor activities.

No disagreement there. Unfortunately, there are only 2 fields in this town of less than about 1,500 people: The one I use currently and the one belonging to the school district (who let nobody use their fields last year but that was more due to construction at the school over anything else). Their softball field is also not in good shape (think the low-budget "corner of a soccer field with 5 dirt patches for bases" type. I'm better off where I am now.

May 11, 2014
School played in towns where the parents had to sit outside the fence, across the road and some that had no restrictions whatsoever(in the same county). Baseball played where you couldn't sit in the stands but could sit in chairs at the fence. We just went with the flow and didn't worry about what we couldn't control. Until someone says it is your business it's not and stay away from it.

Apr 20, 2015
I would not ask families for any information unless your league or fields you are playing at requires it then pass on the requirements and who to give the information too. Anything more will not be well met by a large portion of parents. We play on a high level team and travel the country. I am a physician with extensive daily experience with vaccines and the way they work and are made although I certainly don’t work at the NIH. Experienced medical professionals can’t agree on this vaccine. My opinions are vastly different than many of the parents in our team. I take care of my family and I will give my opinion when I’m asked directly for advice but that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
For those participating in this thread, if you want to talk about how your team or organization is dealing with the virus, go ahead. This is not the place, however, to debate the efficacy of vaccines or any of that other stuff. Just keep it to softball. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28