Beginner Pitching advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
So my 8 year old has taken an interest in pitching. I absolutely have no idea on how to teach her the proper technique. She has been practicing for a couple weeks now and she has just been going by what she has seen on Tv and at other games. From my eye she looks to be doing a pretty good job and getting better everytime out. We have just been throwing into an empty net. Anybody have any advice and or websites I could check out for drills. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do not bring the hands over her head or wayyyy back behind her, during the pre-motion. Put the ball in front of your belly button, hold it in both hands, and go straight up into the windmill. Do not slap your self with the glove.

YouTube Bill Hillhouse.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Do not slap your self with the glove.

Interesting you should say that. I see a lot of that in my area and I just don't get it. My first instinct would be that the slapping would give the batter a better opportunity to time the pitcher. I just think it looks silly.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Interesting you should say that. I see a lot of that in my area and I just don't get it. My first instinct would be that the slapping would give the batter a better opportunity to time the pitcher. I just think it looks silly.

You are correct. The slap gives the batter a timing mechanism that they shouldn't have and is and added disadvantage to the pitcher. FPTV has Bill Hillhouse's clinic in three or four parts. You can watch it for free. I would highly recommend watching this plus ordering his videos. Also, you should read the pitching threads on here about I/R pitching as well as ordering and watching Rick Pauly's video series.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let me ask a question:

If you had a son who wanted to pitch, would you start by teaching him to pitch? Or would you start by teaching him how to *THROW* overhand, and then progress from there to pitching?

So, teach your DD how to throw underhand correctly, then teach her how to pitch.

What do I mean? When you throw everything is more relaxed. No swinging the arm back to shoulder height, no stupid bend, no beating the leg with the glove, etc. The kid takes the ball to 12, turns (gets open), stays open, and then throws the ball.

Mar 31, 2014
Just my .02 from someone who entered the same boat, start right. We've spent more time trying to untrain bad habits then we are spending on refining good ones. My guide for beginners and what I wish I had done:

1. YouTube Bill Hillhouse Pitching Clinic Part 1. Watch all 4 parts.

2. Return to this site read the stickys IR in the Classroom and Internal Rotation.

3. Read them again :)

4. Read the sticky Drive Mechanics

5. Go out YOURSELF and try the drills. It helps to understand what your DDs body is feeling during the drills/motion.

6. Go back and read them AGAIN.

7. Start playing underhand catch with DD. Get her comfortable with this.

8. Only progress as she's comfortable with each drill.

If I could do it over again, that is exactly what I would do. Like I said, we've spent the majority of our time the last month I training her muscles from the HE motion her ex PC taught her. Good luck.

Feb 7, 2013
What Okie said.

Also, I'm a firm believer that for pitching you either commit fully to it or find another position. You cannot have any kind of "success" by dabbling in pitching. She will struggle and give it up. She needs to practice with good mechanics on a regular basis. I like to space out the practices every, other day and 3x a week. You only need 30 mins or so and this age. Make sure she has a warm up routine that is consistent and done every time. Make sure she is having fun. A good PC is very important. Create a pitching area on your property to make it easier to get practice time in. All you need is 30 feet, a pitching rubber and a home plate. Have a 6-12 month plan. For example, in 6 months she can throw greater than 50%!strikes. In 12 months, she learns a change up, etc. Make sure you read the pitching regulations and explain to her how to do all the necessary preliminaries before starting her motion to pitch. That way in the game it will come natural to her.

Regarding glove slapping. There is nothing wrong with a soft slap of the glove. Go to the pitching videos and see how many great, elite pitchers slap their thigh. To me it's a non issue, there are so many other aspects of the pitch that is more important than worrying about a little glove slap. It doesn't help the batters timing because as you watch the videos in slo motion almost always the ball is already released before the glove even hits the thigh. Another pitching fallacy promoted by some members here.

Good luck with your daughter's pitching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish