Battin Out-of-order question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I had this occur in a game.:eek: WILL NOT happen again...However, I completely argued the Umpire ruling on the field, and as usual, I lost...

B1 and B2 got confused (10 yo's....no surprise)
B2 hit first. Made it safe to 1B. Other team called it before B1 was pitched to.

Umps sent B1 to dugout to miss her turn, and called B2 out at 1st. B3 then came to bat with nobody on, 1 out.

I argued B1, who was the proper batter, should be called out, and B2 gets a re-do at bat since she is the next batter to follow B1 in the line-up.

I still think I'm right.
Any thoughts?

Jun 22, 2008
You were correct. The batter who should have batted is the batter called out, any advance of runners or runners who scored is negated and returned to last base touched prior to last pitch, any outs that may have been made during the play stand. In your case B2 was the next batter in order and should have returned and batted.

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
Batting out of order

I don't believe that's the right call. What I understand is that the batter who should have hit (B1) is called out, and the next batter who should have batted (B2) is up.
So in this case, B2 hit and reached 1B. B1 is out for not hitting in the correct spot. And B2 is now up - with one out and nobody on base.

Had a pitch been thrown to B1, the correct call would be to leave B2 on 1B, and send B3 to the plate to assume the count and complete the turn at bat started by B1.

But it IS confusing!

Oct 18, 2009
Indiana
I was actually told by an umpire that in the event if you see a team is out of order, let the player finish the at bat. Should they reach the base, then call it to the umps attention because the player on base will now be out and in your case will now be at bat with one out and no one on.

Feb 9, 2009
yes, that was one of the lessons I learned..let the out of order batter finish her turn, because IF she gets out, she stays out and the batter who SHOULD have bat is also out...

Jan 15, 2009
yes, that was one of the lessons I learned..let the out of order batter finish her turn, because IF she gets out, she stays out and the batter who SHOULD have bat is also out...

ignore the following. I was wrong
I don't think that is correct Steph. IMU you can only get one out either way. What you can do is turn that girls out of order hit/BB into an out, you can't turn her out of order out into two outs. If you say something early(before at bat is complete) IMU the correct batter assumes the count.

So what you wouldn't want to do is bring it up when the count on the wrong batter is 3-0. Better to walk the OOO batter and then take the out rather than put a new batter in the box with a favorable count.

Feb 9, 2009
someone should try to clarify this for us then...because I have a different understanding..

Anyone up to the challenge???

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've been told that you can only go "down" the lineup, and you can't go back "up". So a batter out of order that is called out cannot bat again. In the original case, B1 "missed" her turn (got skipped) and in the umpire's opinion B2 was the batter out of order and was called out, and therefore B3 should bat. Or do I have that completely wrong?

Jan 15, 2009
I went to the officiating website and got some feedback

I was wrong (big surprise :))

You should let the 0ut0f0rder batter complete their at bat. Then bring it up. As soon as the at bat is over regardless of result, the batter that should have been up is ruled out and all outs stand. That means that if you got the OOO batter out you get both her out and the batter who should have been up..

Mar 11, 2009
I went to the officiating website and got some feedback

I was wrong (big surprise :))

You should let the 0ut0f0rder batter complete their at bat. Then bring it up. As soon as the at bat is over regardless of result, the batter that should have been up is ruled out and all outs stand. That means that if you got the OOO batter out you get both her out and the batter who should have been up..

What happens to the OOO batter if they reach safe? Do they go back and bat, in this case b2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06