Bats in colder weather

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
Our team has two more tournaments to play in this fall, temperatures are now down in the 50's here,we have had some mid 40's in the nights.

My question is " what is the temperature range that you should stop using a composite bat in outside?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Our team has two more tournaments to play in this fall, temperatures are now down in the 50's here,we have had some mid 40's in the nights.

My question is " what is the temperature range that you should stop using a composite bat in outside?

Just to be sure, you may want to give the manufacturer a call. No one should know better than them. E-mail would be even better in case something did go wrong even if you heed any warning they may offer.

Jan 25, 2011
Most of the composite bats say not below 60* that I have bought.But with the unemployment so high,I say don't worry about it,bat guy or girl has to eat too:D

Sep 21, 2011
You may want to check if warming sleeves are allowed for the tournaments. They are now legal in ASA and some other organizations.

Jun 22, 2008
Couple of years ago was working a tournament where the temps were hovering in the 45 to 50 degree range and we had at least 4 rocketechs snap off right at the bottom of the sleeve. The UIC went around to all the teams and told them to have the players stop using them because the temperature appeared to be causing them to break.

Jun 22, 2008
No, but composites in general are also not recommend to be used below 60 degrees. And there are still plenty of kids out there swinging rocketechs. I see them every weekend.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You may want to check if warming sleeves are allowed for the tournaments. They are now legal in ASA and some other organizations.

And there is a proposed rule change to reverse that allowance since NCAA & NFHS do not allow them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Which is why I recommended checking with the tournaments to see what they allow.

There's not much you can do about the bats in cold weather except keep the balls warm. The cold weather significantly increases the ball compression so its almost like hitting rocks - not good for metal or composites. Leave the gamers home and use a back up club.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild