Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Did you have scientific evidence when you learned tTB ?? 😆 hopefully you stick around. Someone around here will come up with it eventually. Have a good day Bobby !
Won't be you. You're merely a theorist. Proving is someone else's job.
Yes, tTB is based in scientifically proven principles.

May 12, 2016
This is where I am going to deviate a little.
  • I do not believe the hitter pushes off their back foot
  • I do believe a hitter anchors their back foot
  • I do believe the legs provide stability at launch which is equally as important as any power source.. that's why taking legs out of the equation is not a valid experiment(sitting on a chair).. integrity is lost if you remove the legs from the equation.
  • However I also believe the legs (glutes, hams, quads) provide power to the swing as well. I can really feel it in my inner thighs and glutes, Yes you feel it there as well it you were just using the legs to brace against contractions of the core.. but I believe there is power to be harnessed there. Not a push or lunge type movement. Hard to explain, but if any of you played hockey and learned the proper way to do a crossover (using both edges on the skates) you would understand what I am saying. There is a tremendous amount of power and it looks effortless. Think about Coffey, Orr, Federov .. smooth effortless power skaters.
  • I believe not utilizing the legs in a swing would limit the hitters potential.. you can still use power from the legs while anchored
  • I do believe in hip extension(not as a main driver of the swing).. active or reactive? Not sure TBH. Can a hitter utilize hip extension in parallel with uncocking the wrist to strike the barrel into ball? I'm not sure, but hip extension can be a fast twitch movement and I think it would be beneficial

May 3, 2014
  • I do believe the legs provide stability at launch which is equally as important as any power source.. that's why taking legs out of the equation is not a valid experiment(sitting on a chair).. integrity is lost if you remove the legs from the equation.
  • However I also believe the legs (glutes, hams, quads) provide power to the swing as well. I can really feel it in my inner thighs and glutes, Yes you feel it there as well it you were just using the legs to brace against contractions of the core.. but I believe there is power to be harnessed there. Not a push or lunge type movement. Hard to explain, but if any of you played hockey and learned the proper way to do a crossover (using both edges on the skates) you would understand what I am saying. There is a tremendous amount of power and it looks effortless. Think about Coffey, Orr, Federov .. smooth effortless power skaters.
  • I believe not utilizing the legs in a swing would limit the hitters potential.. you can still use power from the legs while anchored
  • I do believe in hip extension(not as a main driver of the swing).. active or reactive? Not sure TBH. Can a hitter utilize hip extension in parallel with uncocking the wrist to strike the barrel into ball? I'm not sure, but hip extension can be a fast twitch movement and I think it would be beneficial
Bolded above. This has never been in contention.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Won't be you. You're merely a theorist. Proving is someone else's job.
Yes, tTB is based in scientifically proven principles.

So far people seem to agreeing with the theory I believe in as well. Just saying. So sour you are. LOL. I don’t need to prove anything Bobby. I just need to be able to teach it. I’m a coach. Not a scientist.

you wanna post those tTB findings?

Jul 29, 2013
I used to think that about the back leg too. Then I looked at it a different way.
Since the spine is tilted rearward, what would hip extension and rearward ground force look like?
.....Different than what normal propulsion via hip and knee extension is in a forward movement like sprinting or jumping. Correct?
Hip extension would work, but knee extension wouldn't allow rearward tilt. The movement might look like a hip bridge exercise......?
The force is to create forward rotation of the pelvis while maintaining a rearward tilt of the spine.... from a split stance.
How would you do it?
What if you could push the other end of the pelvis rearward against the opposite leg? Rotation from both legs applying forces acting in opposite directions on the ends of the pelvis, using large muscles? Oh my!

Can you post a gif of the hockey crossover? I'd like to see that!
I'm from the Souwwwwth and we don't know what hockey is. :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Now it's the spinal engine....Arghhh!
Spinal engine ain't legs.
Are you saying the legs power the swing or are they merely anchors?

1) Do the legs actively power the swing?
2) Are the legs the main source of the power in the swing or is something else responsible?

No, for both questions.... My answer to the power source is much more complicated but it revolves around Biotensegrity model and SSC (stretch shorting cycles). So in short I don’t believe one segment of the body is the main source of power in the swing. IMO the middle is the driver to keep everything working in unison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2014
No, for both questions.... My answer to the power source is much more complicated but it revolves around Biotensegrity model and SSC (stretch shorting cycles). So in short I don’t believe one segment of the body is the main source of power in the swing. IMO the middle is the driver to keep everything working in unison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sit on a chair and prove it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles