Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looking at a lot of gifs. The previous generations seem to have a down and across path more than the down and through path. Basically I’m calling a lower finish across the body a down and across path.

1589573822657.gif

1589573972952.gif

down and through.

1589574097022.gif

1589574362303.gif

Apr 11, 2015
I can't help but be drawn to the pitch locations of all the "down and across" vs the "down and through".

All of the "down and across" are belt level and above, and all of the "down and through" are below the belt (mostly upper thighs and below).

Could all the swing paths be the same (or very similar if nothing else), and only vary depending on pitch height? Just thinking out loud.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I can't help but be drawn to the pitch locations of all the "down and across" vs the "down and through".

All of the "down and across" are belt level and above, and all of the "down and through" are below the belt (mostly upper thighs and below).

Could all the swing paths be the same (or very similar if nothing else), and only vary depending on pitch height? Just thinking out loud.

maybe so. Until I heard about the OH drill and took a closer look at this

1589575730107.gif

also to the fact that I gave my kid the cue of ‘down and across’ and her path got flatter immediately. 🤔

Apr 11, 2015
maybe so. Until I heard about the OH drill and took a closer look at this

View attachment 17690

also to the fact that I gave my kid the cue of ‘down and across’ and her path got flatter immediately. 🤔
OK, but you'll have to help me out on that drill there....is that "down and across" or "down and through"?

I see "down and through" with a ball below his belt (thighs) as mentioned, but I'm sorta confused on the difference between "across" and "through" anyway. To me they could be used interchangeably when it comes to the all of the swings shown in this thread so far. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
OK, but you'll have to help me out on that drill there....is that "down and across" or "down and through"?

I see "down and through" with a ball below his belt (thighs) as mentioned, but I'm sorta confused on the difference between "across" and "through" anyway. To me they could be used interchangeably when it comes to the all of the swings shown in this thread so far. 🤷‍♂️

agree. But the finish isn’t ‘through‘ if you know what I mean. He cuts it off below his shoulder on a down pitch. Should be a ‘V’ish path right with the hands finishing kinda high right?

Apr 11, 2015
agree. But the finish isn’t ‘through‘ if you know what I mean. He cuts it off below his shoulder on a down pitch. Should be a ‘V’ish path right with the hands finishing kinda high right?
Honestly, that's just the "down to" the ball swing that I've been so against for so long now.

In my view of the swing, the path is launched into/at the ball, and isn't manipulated with after that. IOWs, once on plane with the ball it stays in/on that plane...it's not a "down to", "level off", "up through" kind of thing.

That's why I simply use "behind and through". Once a hitter gets the barrel "behind" the incoming plane of the ball, s/he simply continues to swing the bat on it (the same plane), "and through" it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207