Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'd have to go digging through my phone for video. I had a good shot from behind during a game swing, and it was clear how her front shoulder was pulling her head arm, which was pulling her hands laterally during contact. For my DD, getting away from that involved changing the focus more to the rear hip. It works for her. Everyone is built differently.

Would you see the same issue occurring with Bonds approach?

The reason I ask is if in a good position one should be able to turn on the inside and go with the outside.

Which is what Bonds is referring to here in his commentary.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I noticed this as well with many of my hitters, and where the term, "Hit the ball with your rear hip" came from.

Too many young hitters I found focused more on aiming/swinging the bat at the ball with the hands or shoulders, and thus lead with the upper half instead of the lower half as Ted recommend..."The hips lead the hands".

Yep. Maddie had this issue. She wanted to create power by rotating the shoulders, which led to the pulling front shoulder and flat-around bat path. Getting more aggressive with early TTB helped with part of the issue. Getting her power focused in her rear hip, and out of her shoulders, really sorted things out.

Sorry to distract, W=w. Let's keep this thread about your DD. :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So does a ‘down and across’ path mean flatter and longer through the zone horizontally, with a contact point that is deeper ? And ‘Down and through’ is longer through the zone vertically and optimal contact is a bit more out front? Not sure. I do think there are 2 different ‘downward’ paths or intents. I just don’t know what suits what. And for whom to apply it to.

1589570441279.gif

1589570499593.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yep. Maddie had this issue. She wanted to create power by rotating the shoulders, which led to the pulling front shoulder and flat-around bat path. Getting more aggressive with early TTB helped with part of the issue. Getting her power focused in her rear hip, and out of her shoulders, really sorted things out.

Sorry to distract, W=w. Let's keep this thread about your DD. :)

i Understand your fixes for pulling off. It seems to me that the lower half is 99.9% the issue when pulling off is occurring imo.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So does a ‘down and across’ path mean flatter and longer through the zone horizontally, with a contact point that is deeper ? And ‘Down and through’ is longer through the zone vertically and optimal contact is a bit more out front? Not sure. I do think there are 2 different ‘downward’ paths or intents. I just don’t know what suits what. And for whom to apply it to.

View attachment 17680

View attachment 17681

WW, are you referring to this as down and across ?

AkbYWxi.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207