Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
'Human car tires have motors'?

I am not arguing what muscles are the strongest in the body, i am asking what muscles are used. I am asking how to activate the quad , glute and hammy's in a swing, because i just don't feel it in the swing.

And when i physically try to use those QGH muscles, i lose range. my hip stops.

Now maybe this is more in line with me figuring out how to active the QGH along with the obliques, but they just seem to not be my main activation feel.

And for your question 'Is there a oblique lift or a situp max weight competition?', no idea. What does it matter. Please show me how the weightlift move is used in a twisty baseball swing. Weightlifter is leveraging straight down force to extend to pull up. Batter is spread base and a rear foot that is not leveraged at contact. Tell me how the weightlifter can clean and jerk with only one of two legs securely on the ground.
Twisty baseball swing type movements are bad for your back, especially weight bearing ones.
More one leg lifts....

Jul 29, 2013
It's not surprising some are having trouble figuring this out. Activating the obliques correctly is not easy especially for older people sitting at a laptop all day...

I have college players trying to figure it out. But, eventually they start to feel it (bottom hand swings are really good) even as their body keeps wanting to use other methods of moving the bat as they have been doing forever.

Rick Pauly has a good thread on the pitching side https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/creating-correct-core-torque.16719/

The stripe on the leading edge of jerseys move the same in both pitching clips and Bustos below

jmA9iD.gif

After foot plant, it's hard to ignore the stripe on the pants and the pelvis turning due to the extension of the knee by the quads and extension of the hip by the glutes.
Engine pulling the train?
Lots of ground force into that front leg.

Jul 29, 2013
You use your obliques more to stabilize when lifting on one leg like that.. :)

Also I can lift much more on two legs then one.

Also.. what does have to do with swinging a bat ... besides just strength training in the gym.

The swing is a complex movement and we all disagree enough.. can we at least stick relevant content? :)
Obliques stabilize. Hmmmm.
Relevancy? Try to keep up.

Jul 29, 2013
i guess i should have asked to see it one legged with just as much weight.

please explain this comment you made: 'Human car tires have motors'?
No one can lift as much with one leg as they can with two.
The question you should ask is why do hitters hit off one leg?
(Hint.... it has something to do with torque.)

Some smart guy in post #607 said this...
" The tires are you legs. They keep you in contact with the ground. But they are not creating the power. The engine spins and creates the power, sending it down the drive train (spine) to the tires (legs)."

And I said, "human car tires have motors."

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
After foot plant, it's hard to ignore the stripe on the pants and the pelvis turning due to the extension of the knee by the quads and extension of the hip by the glutes.
Engine pulling the train?
Lots of ground force into that front leg.
Leverage.

EDIT - The pelvis has already started to rotate from the oblique contraction by foot plant. Leverage turns it loose so to speak,

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
When Bonds, Carp and others speak of hitting position they aren't referring to being one legged so that the rear leg/hip can fire (RHE)..

KIInqE1.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Goes back to different movement patterns that both work but some feel the need to blend into one.

J1c5pt0.png

I3lbNro.gif

VS

OyFgaOG.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Does anyone think if Tiger could describe his movements anatomically correct would change his cause/effect 😂

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Leverage.

EDIT - The pelvis has already started to rotate from the oblique contraction by foot plant. Leverage turns it loose so to speak,
Here we go again. ...
The torso is unchained and has no momentum with which to turn the pelvis during the stride. The pelvis starts turning because the back leg is in contact with the ground and externally rotates causing the pelvis to rotate in the opposite direction. The movement is due to the contraction of the glute medius.
Hip-against-leg-foot-should-slid.GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad