Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
ok thanks. that helps. I just dont think i am good with body part awareness. when you say to only use your 'legs', what muscles should i be trying to activate. And when you say belly button, same question.

What you may be getting me to realize is more specific than what i was probably saying/thinking. However, maybe my larger question is separating the quads, glutes, hammies from 'all the rest.'. If i say that i dont feel these QGH muscles in my swing, is that a 'valid' comment?

Since IMO there isn't any 'forceful drive' from the rear leg, if you fired those muscles against an unleveraged position, they wouldn't do

So if i disregard the oblique, core, PG, conversation. Can i just ask, as people have compared this to clean and jerk weightlifting, how is the rear leg a source of power if it is not leveraged against the ground? Or are you saying there is a downward force being applied to the ground from the rear leg?

I'm not comparing the entire swing to the entire clean.

Just between the frames I had with correa and the weightlifter. In the frames of correa from 57 mph to contact and the weightlifter from bar 4-6 inches below pubic bone to full hip extension.

This is where the most force is exerted on the bat/bar in both things. By far.

As far as the right leg exerting force? Foot is behind but the leg(femur) is underneath or close to it. It can still help extend the hips. The whole point of extending the hips is to move the torso rearward/up to pull on the bat.

Check out the piazza gif very closely. He doesn't stop extending for a long time after contact and you can see it from what his feet/legs do on the follow through. His left leg gets sucked back underneath when his foot comes up and then he ends up on his right toe like michael jackson(some force there I think?).

That is perhaps the best gif of all time imo.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I'm not comparing the entire swing to the entire clean.

Just between the frames I had with correa and the weightlifter. In the frames of correa from 57 mph to contact and the weightlifter from bar 4-6 inches below pubic bone to full hip extension.

This is where the most force is exerted on the bat/bar in both things. By far.

As far as the right leg exerting force? Foot is behind but the leg(femur) is underneath or close to it. It can still help extend the hips. The whole point of extending the hips is to move the torso rearward/up to pull on the bat.

Check out the piazza gif very closely. He doesn't stop extending for a long time after contact and you can see it from what his feet/legs do on the follow through. His left leg gets sucked back underneath when his foot comes up and then he ends up on his right toe like michael jackson(some force there I think?).

That is perhaps the best gif of all time imo.
Thanks, anyone can see anything they want in any GIF and i am not smart enough to know what i am looking at, which is why i am trying to understand.

I guess i only really disagree with your above bolded. The hips have already stopped at this point. the kinetic chain from proximal to distal has fired from the leveraged lower to torso to arms/hands. At the point of increased acceleration i believe all that is left in the chain is the distal part, not any force from the hip extension. Which i still feel is more result vs active.

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks, anyone can see anything they want in any GIF and i am not smart enough to know what i am looking at, which is why i am trying to understand.

I guess i only really disagree with your above bolded. The hips have already stopped at this point. the kinetic chain from proximal to distal has fired from the leveraged lower to torso to arms/hands. At the point of increased acceleration i believe all that is left in the chain is the distal part, not any force from the hip extension. Which i still feel is more result vs active.

If that were the case the weightlifter would be pulling the weight with just his arms? Moving 400 lbs probly 20-24 inches in a split second?

A batters hips stop rotating sure. But the hips are still extending(moving the torso).

The torso gets pulled backward by the hips very very quickly. And the arm(s) is attached to the torso. And the bat is attached to the arm.

Correa it is not easy to see I think.

Here's a better one.
Screenshot_20200522-003040.png
Screenshot_20200522-002946.png

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If that were the case the weightlifter would be pulling the weight with just his arms? Moving 400 lbs probly 20-24 inches in a split second?

A batters hips stop rotating sure. But the hips are still extending(moving the torso).

The torso gets pulled backward by the hips very very quickly. And the arm(s) is attached to the torso. And the bat is attached to the arm.

Here's a better one.
View attachment 17996
View attachment 17997
Why is it so hard for the kids to do that?

- EliteBaseball.TV- Little League World Series and Keeping your Eye on the Ball

Jul 29, 2013
'Human car tires have motors'?

I am not arguing what muscles are the strongest in the body, i am asking what muscles are used. I am asking how to activate the quad , glute and hammy's in a swing, because i just don't feel it in the swing.

And when i physically try to use those QGH muscles, i lose range. my hip stops.

Now maybe this is more in line with me figuring out how to active the QGH along with the obliques, but they just seem to not be my main activation feel.

And for your question 'Is there a oblique lift or a situp max weight competition?', no idea. What does it matter. Please show me how the weightlift move is used in a twisty baseball swing. Weightlifter is leveraging straight down force to extend to pull up. Batter is spread base and a rear foot that is not leveraged at contact. Tell me how the weightlifter can clean and jerk with only one of two legs securely on the ground.
Look ma, one leg and no obliques!
Look familiar?

More to follow.

May 12, 2016
Look ma, one leg and no obliques!
Look familiar?

More to follow.

You use your obliques more to stabilize when lifting on one leg like that.. :)

Also I can lift much more on two legs then one.

Also.. what does have to do with swinging a bat ... besides just strength training in the gym.

The swing is a complex movement and we all disagree enough.. can we at least stick relevant content? :)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

Here's a better one.
View attachment 17996
View attachment 17997
i guess i dont know what you are saying. 'A batters hips stop rotating sure.' hips are still extending(moving the torso)'. if you look at the stills you put up the hips are still rotating. so i guess i just dont understand what you are trying to say.

Feb 25, 2020
i guess i dont know what you are saying. 'A batters hips stop rotating sure.' hips are still extending(moving the torso)'. if you look at the stills you put up the hips are still rotating. so i guess i just dont understand what you are trying to say.

Do you have an answer for the weightlifter lifting with his arms?

May 12, 2016
What's the stronger position/movement? Pushing with one leg or pulling with the core supported by two? If in a FYB position, I think I know the answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles