Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Using the bigger muscles to move the bat is drag.

The whole point of learning how to use the obliques is to find the optimum position to leverage the body so the obliques can move the barrel with the least amount of effort. Then the bigger muscles can kick into gear. There is a reason some swings look smooth to the eye while others look off. The off swings are relying on effort from bigger muscles.

Its like slow motion almost. No effort.

Feb 25, 2020
you beat me to this. Not sure why it's hard to understand that all some of us are saying is that the obliques go first. TDS has been saying it for years that if you get the up front actions correct the swing will naturally unfold. The obliques are the up front actions. Yes, pull across that line is the path of least resistance. But, apparently that is some kind of cheat code that upsets people bc they want to focus on the bigger muscles.

The problem is it goes from "the obliques go first" to "look at the obliques opening up the hip" to "look at those obliques powering the swing" etc.

TDS and FP were discussing what the ACTUAL power source in the swing is. Not what needs to go first or second or third.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The big muscles = legs. If we were doing a broad jump the legs would lead and be the main source of power. But the swing is (mostly) rotational. The legs can assist but are not the main source.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I have never been able to understand what you meant by "all available resources", and every time I asked you either got snippy or provided a very vague answer.

Never claimed to be the expert describing all the muscle movements..

You tell me what you feel when leveraging all available resources vs over one leg.

k4xI3PF.gif

cFnROQQ.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The problem is it goes from "the obliques go first" to "look at the obliques opening up the hip" to "look at those obliques powering the swing" etc.

TDS and FP were discussing what the ACTUAL power source in the swing is. Not what needs to go first or second or third.

I see it feel it primarily as the obliques contracting against the hips extending. This creates the swing "down to" feel that all the pros speak of.

vWC8dI9.gif

Feb 25, 2020
I see it feel it primarily as the obliques contracting against the hips extending. This creates the swing "down to" feel that all the pros speak of.

vWC8dI9.gif

I've seen you say that a few times. I think it is a great way of describing it.

Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never claimed to be the expert describing all the muscle movements..

You tell me what you feel when leveraging all available resources vs over one leg.

cFnROQQ.gif

I know this is one of your favorite pictures, but I think you are misconstruing what I see here. As I stated back when I created that particular gif, the front foot does not need to be on the ground at the time of launch. (Not much different than a volleyball player spiking a ball from above the net, by the way...How many feet does that volleyball player have on the ground?). But when he does launch, you can bet that the foot will get to the ground very quickly. At that point the leverage will be needed. If he attempted to keep this foot in the air throughout the entire swing, the result would not be pretty.

If trained properly, the body has a way to organize itself to produce the desired result. It does not require a hitter to be strictly on his rear leg or completely on both legs. Requiring that the hitter be at a certain point seems too confining to me.

May 3, 2014

When I say the obliques turn the hips I mean exactly that. The obliques go first and then the hip moves. In the context of a swing it is exactly what should happen. But, there will be those that say I can fire the obliques and my hip won't open. Context. But, it proves my point that the obliques can and should go first.

In the end I don't really care what the big muscles do as long as they stay out of the way until needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi