Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
And probably should get this back out there that the barrel needs to be synced up with the obliques. Belt loops are created from the obliques being used first. The barrel's change of direction is synced to the belt loops.

UOa52R.gif

1aWR0X.gif

Reactions: TDS
May 3, 2014
Using the bigger muscles to move the bat is drag.

The whole point of learning how to use the obliques is to find the optimum position to leverage the body so the obliques can move the barrel with the least amount of effort. Then the bigger muscles can kick into gear. There is a reason some swings look smooth to the eye while others look off. The off swings are relying on effort from bigger muscles.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That's what I expected you to say but it doesnt answer the question. The gas pedal in a car engages the acceleration of the engine but the gas pedal is not the power source.

FP, what is your point here ? You want to focus on firing what ?

From your launch position JD image what is the power source ?

cFnROQQ.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, what is your point here ? You want to focus on firing what ?

From your launch position JD image what is the power source ?

cFnROQQ.gif

I want to throw the barrel at the ball. I don't want to focus on firing anything. I see the obliques' role as facilitators. They need to perform their role so that the other muscles can react more efficiently. In the picture above, JD is getting ready to contract his right side lat (and other back muscles) in order to create adduction of the right arm. That will not work properly if the obliques do not work properly. But they have to work together to accomplish the goal.

@Buttermaker post #403 makes some sense. The right lat will not fire properly if the obliques are not facilitating. But pretending that the obliques power the entire swing without involving the larger muscles just seems ludicrous to me. That is simply not the obliques job.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I want to throw the barrel at the ball. I don't want to focus on firing anything. I see the obliques' role as facilitators. They need to perform their role so that the other muscles can react more efficiently. In the picture above, JD is getting ready to contract his right side lat (and other back muscles) in order to create adduction of the right arm. That will not work properly if the obliques do not work properly. But they have to work together to accomplish the goal.

@Buttermaker post #403 makes some sense. The right lat will not fire properly if the obliques are not facilitating. But pretending that the obliques power the entire swing without involving the larger muscles just seems ludicrous to me. That is simply not the obliques job.

FP26, are you being honest ? Who has ever said the the obliques power the entire swing ? If one has that mind set (obliques power) why worry about becoming leveraged ?

Once leveraged all available resources become engaged.. I view it more as the contraction against the hips extending, while avoiding trying to rotate the hips.

Dn3mgsS.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, are you being honest ? Who has ever said the the obliques power the entire swing ? If one has that mind set (obliques power) why worry about becoming leveraged ?

Once leveraged all available resources become engaged.. I view it more as the contraction against the hips extending, while avoiding trying to rotate the hips.

Dn3mgsS.gif

Yes. I am being 100% honest. 7 years talking about this stuff including countless PMs between the two of us, and my understanding is that you are promoting that the obliques power the entire swing. That is my understanding of your words.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes. I am being 100% honest. 7 years talking about this stuff including countless PMs between the two of us, and my understanding is that you are promoting that the obliques power the entire swing. That is my understanding of your words.

So engaging all available resources from a fyb leveraged position means nothing then ok..

Most of our discussions were in regards to swinging within the s-plane and getting the up-front actions correct.. Doing so engaged both sides of the body (catcher/pitcher) While others at the time were focused on the rear leg/hip and still are.

JD, isn't leveraging all available resources here if this was his launch position.

cFnROQQ.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So engaging all available resources from a fyb leveraged position means nothing then ok..

Most of our discussions were in regards to swinging within the s-plane and getting the up-front actions correct.. Doing so engaged both sides of the body (catcher/pitcher) While others at the time were focused on the rear leg/hip and still are.

JD, isn't leveraging all available resources here if this was his launch position.

cFnROQQ.gif

I have never been able to understand what you meant by "all available resources", and every time I asked you either got snippy or provided a very vague answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi