Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
The big muscles = legs. If we were doing a broad jump the legs would lead and be the main source of power. But the swing is (mostly) rotational. The legs can assist but are not the main source.

If you go frame by frame here and look at the acceleration (and force) Youll see that the greatest acceleration(and force) is right before contact when his hips are extending.

What's most impressive is that the bat is already going 70 mph and hes still able to accelerate it 15 more mph in a very short amount of time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you go frame by frame here and look at the acceleration (and force) Youll see that the greatest acceleration(and force) is right before contact when his hips are extending.

What's most impressive is that the bat is already going 70 mph and hes still able to accelerate it 15 more mph in a very short amount of time.

I get that. But that's not what starts the swing.

Feb 25, 2020
I get that. But that's not what starts the swing.

Right. Look at post 384-386. FP and TDS were talking about the biggest power source in the swing. I am arguing its the movements that provide the greatest force/acceleration on the bat.(hip extension)

And you said the legs can assist but arent the main power source.

Im saying There is a "broad jump" (hip extension) movement in there that provides the greatest force on the bat in the swing. And provided pretty clear evidence.

Apr 11, 2015
FXNHEw.gif

No on pay any mind that the throw has already started with the drive of the lower half - rear leg pushing off the everted rear foot planted solidly into the ground, that drives and turns the rear hip forward - long before the arm/hand is even up and back all the way enough for the lead obliques to involved in the throw at that point.

If anyone cares about accuracy, yes, the lead obliques are "pulling" secondarily through the actual "pull" of the lead iliac crest they're attached to as it pulls them rearward, as its corresponding counterpart on the opposite side of the pelvic girdle is driven forward...

The rear arm is subsequently and sequentially pulled forward with the pectoralis major, along with the triceps brachii to create the final "whip" after the torso has been rotated forward from the earlier, explosive action(s) of the legs driving and turning the hips that the lower part of the upper half/torso is attached to (this would include the lower attachment of the obliques) .

But carry on, don't let science, anatomy, and/or kinesiology stand in anyone's way.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Right. Look at post 384-386. FP and TDS were talking about the biggest power source in the swing. I am arguing its the movements that provide the greatest force/acceleration on the bat.(hip extension)

And you said the legs can assist but arent the main power source.

Im saying There is a "broad jump" (hip extension) movement in there that provides the greatest force on the bat in the swing. And provided pretty clear evidence.
The swing has already been started and is already accelerating. How much hip extension aid in bat speed is an unknown. Some? probably. Main source? I don't think so.

Apr 11, 2015
For anyone still on the fence, or wondering what an "oblique driven" swing looks like (for obvious reasons)....
7v0Y7VT.gif

Don't say in the future you were never warned. 🤷‍♂️

May 3, 2014
Hey Mud, post that clip where the kids ouches in pain after the you make him stretch his hip like a slingshot. And why couldn't he finish his swing? That's right bc it's a dumb thing to do for someone professing to be so smart about everything lol....Waves are calling you...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478