Bat Against Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
If you start from the position in post #1 pic, that usually leads to bat drag. I have seen entire teams of 8U hit like this.

The Epstein deltoid drill is the same as Pic#1.

These drills also only use the 'coil out' move. Nobody needs help coiling out. Almost everyone needs to learn to coil inward. This drill is a terrible idea.

Time is your enemy. If one can't break bat drag, it's a fatal flaw, and a kid won't advance.

Don't make your kid sad. Make them happy :)

May 12, 2016
If you start from the position in post #1 pic, that usually leads to bat drag. I have seen entire teams of 8U hit like this.

The Epstein deltoid drill is the same as Pic#1.

These drills also only use the 'coil out' move. Nobody needs help coiling out. Almost everyone needs to learn to coil inward. This drill is a terrible idea.

Time is your enemy. If one can't break bat drag, it's a fatal flaw, and a kid won't advance.

There are two things that every kid in America should be working toward every day - killing bat drag, and coiling inward.

Don't make your kid sad. Make them happy :)
LOL.. thanks for your response. But I really don't understand how this drill promotes bat drag. This is the idea position you want to eliminate bat drag. Also I can coil inward NP when striding forward from this position. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing here, I am not familiar with the drill, so that could be the issue here.

Jun 8, 2016
If you want to play around with handset I would go with what Eric suggested, e.g. neck slot. In the position you showed I can see how it would be really easy to get your elbow ahead of your hands at launch and just keep it there, e.g. bat drag.

May 12, 2016
Fair enough, I guess I can see the rear elbow leading the way

Tried neck slot before, for some reason her bat gets very horizontal in this position. Maybe her hands are too high?

Jun 8, 2016
Fair enough, I guess I can see the rear elbow leading the way

Tried neck slot before, for some reason her bat gets very horizontal in this position. Maybe her hands are too high?
evJh96J.gif

Jun 8, 2016
I guess Brett is very horizontal while loading as well, his hands are further away from his body than my DD's though, maybe that why she looks uncomfortable
DiCarlo starts with bat in neck slot and then lifts right before launching..cannot find a gif for that at the moment but videos are on here somewhere. I actually have my 4 YO son just start with the bat on his shoulder..he actually listens to me.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
GB, allows his hands to get sucked into the pivot point which allows for the bodys momentum to be transferred out to the barrel. Definitely not forcing any ttb supination.

gRvhiGL.gif

May 12, 2016
DiCarlo starts with bat in neck slot and then lifts right before launching..cannot find a gif for that at the moment but videos are on here somewhere. I actually have my 4 YO son just start with the bat on his shoulder..he actually listens to me.
:)

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
This is clearly different from pic #1.

This is coiling in, then flat rear forearm at toe touch - just like all MLB hitters. He does manage to start with bat in the neck slot though. Then he has to drop his hands down to get the bat head at 30-50 deg at toe touch.

I think it might be a bad idea as a drill to have to force your hands down for most people trying to break bat drag.

Just trying to help folks avoid dead end roads. I have used many of these ideas in the past, and they didn't work out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez