basketball coach and ad limiting pitchers throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
i am a varsity coach who has a new ad who is buddies with the girls bball coach who is now putting new restrictions on my pitchers on the team to only be able to pitch once a week until the bball season is over, says its too distracting and overworking the girls, talk about people in charge who dont understand windmill pitching!!!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So would it make sense to the BB coach if you told the BB players on your team they are not allowed to practice free throws more then once a week during the softball season?

Silliness is what it is.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yeah. You can't stop a girl from throwing at home, with dad. Honestly, my DD didn't pitch during basketball season. There just wasn't time, with AP classes, band, church and basketball - but we were in Flagstaff and would have had to have been inside. I think you should just smile and go with it. What else can you do?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Pick your battles. This one sounds low priority since they have no real way to monitor/enforce the rule unless they are stalking the girls and keeping tabs!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Wannahit, I feel your pain. There are probably expectations for your team to do well, but it's tough to do that when you put restrictions on the most important position on the field. Hopefully the girls will just roll their eyes and go off to practice on their own.

The sad thing is it puts you in a bad position. Do you tell the girls to ignore their BB coach? Do you "couch" any discussions so you're not telling them what to do, but you're leading them in the right direction?

How many pitchers do you have playing BB, and are they your top pitchers? That might make any decisions easier too. In any case, you'd sure think everyone would encourage participation across the board -- not just in sports, but other activities too -- since you're all part of the same school.

May 22, 2011
unfortunately all my pitchers play basketball which i encouraged, lots of young talent, not a lot of experience, 10 th graders will be pretty much be my whole staff, people in position of power who dont understand the position of pitcher, more concerned about upsetting the bball coach, its like a bad soap opera, but it only hurts the kids who want to work!!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It sounds to me like the BB coach is telling the girls they cant pitch more then once a week period. If he is worried about being overworked or distracting, Home or at school it would be the same

May 22, 2011
this all voluntary time by the kids who want to work, but the ad is backing the bball coach right now, sez i have to be sensative to the bballs concerns, basically lets them rewrite the schools pollicies mid season. its all politics, no common sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877