Ball Facing 2nd base... Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not sure what you're talking about, but THAT gif is my favorite Ueno gif. It shows what I believe is one of the most efficient drive sequences recorded on video! Love the push-push. It starts out looking like a typical rolling start, then it happens: both legs engage!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Not sure what you're talking about, but THAT gif is my favorite Ueno gif. It shows what I believe is one of the most efficient drive sequences recorded on video! Love the push-push. It starts out looking like a typical rolling start, then it happens: both legs engage!

Your right the "most efficient"... could only wish to see her bring that ball back, in her glove, past her hip. That toe on front foot wouldn't be up so high. :cool:

Found out pitching from the chair, is the best way to work on the push-push...

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Anyone notice her front foot turns to 45 degrees, then straightens close to 90 degrees as her foot lands?

Yes... my key point tonight... and what DD is working on now... lands it on the heel, & goes up on toe, as she powers the ball :{))

Now don't pay attention to anything else (under Construction) but front foot... & in keeping with OP, you can check to see if she has palm up to 2nd... :{))

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Resent/3Balls-logo.mp4" />
</video>

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Its the result of only cutting the pit to 5'9", and having her landing the front of the cleat on the grass. Grass being higher... that means landing on the heel...

The ball in the glove disrupted her myelin sheath... rhythm. Forcing focus on her front foot... investing the swim & slap tempo to the front foot... :cool:

Here is when I passed on getting it straight last winter... (we were inside) So I went threw the whole season stupidity ...waiting until I could get her away from all the secondary junk... and everyone else, so I could correct this... thought long and hard about how... :{)) Her 45 was leaving her hipless... she was adding straighten... afterwards... for me...too little too late to brush... :{)) I had her stop the after move & we worked on what we had to go with... She did great this year !!!

wk.4.gif

another clip... palm up & too 2nd @ 9:00 :{))

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ending up on the toe is not a practiced action, just simply the result of her stopping the very powerful forward drive, right?!

Its like roll over on the swing... or when you crack the nut... so to speak... when the ummph is applied :{))

I got this from Donaldson too... Start @ 4:40... watch him stand there with his foot straight for several minutes... think its his key point :{))

***FootStraight***

1-million.gif

Another thing that most of the great pitchers do with the arm circle is hide the arm and ball grip from view as the arm comes down the back of the circle. Very difficult for the batter to pick-up the ball until right before release. Pitchers that don't rotate the arm "palm to sky" around 9:00 and don't get heavy brush interference are "exposing" the arm and grip to the batter sooner (from 9:00 to 6:00) than the elite's like Ueno, Cat, and Abbott. You watch video from the catchers perspective there arm completely disappears until the last second. Elite pitchers do so many little things right that it adds up to greatness in the circle.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Her 45 was leaving her hipless... she was adding straighten... afterwards... for me...too little too late to brush... :{))

aaarrgghh....unbelievable how ingrained this motion became in my DD! Been working on retraining the muscle memory to eliminate this action for way too long now.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Getting back to the OP, I probably spend more time correcting the instruction of "turn the ball toward second at the top of the circle" than on anything else. It is practically universal, at least around here. I have no idea why any pitching instructor thinks that's a good idea since it results in locking the elbow and pushing the ball down the back side of the circle. But as was mentioned earlier, it started somewhere and former pitchers who were taught that way continue to repeat it, even if that's not how they actually pitched.

Can't say I've heard that anyone specified turning it back at 9:00. Have you checked to see if it's happening earlier, like at 12:00?

Best thing you can do is bring evidence. When I have a new student I usually bring my iPad, which has several clips of elite female pitchers. I show the student and her parents step-by-step what those pitchers do in the motion, pointing out the things that don't match what they've been told before but do match what I'm telling them. I also encourage them to go on the Internet and look up elite pitchers themselves, just so they know I haven't cherry-picked video clips.

Often seeing is believing. But not always. As with many things in life, sometimes people don't like it when the facts get in the way of their beliefs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi