Ball Facing 2nd base... Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
YU.gif

Oct 16, 2014
something in your post caught my attention.

2 years ago, when my DD FIRST learned to pitch, and I mean really first time ever stuff...Denny Tincher taught her to finish "princess hand". He was putting more emphasis on teaching her to finish palm down and not so concerned with the orientation of the ball at 9oclock. Her ball would face towards 3rd at the top of the circle and 9, never was it emphasized to TRY to make it face second, or up. Once she learned how to throw strikes, had good command of the ball, was starting to be successful in games, he built on that and she started learning IR (ball facing up then slicing down), arm whip at release. It was pretty easy for her to pick up because she had always finished palm down, was never (mis)taught any hello elbow type stuff.

Is this instructor Tincher certified by any chance? or perhaps the "princess handshake" cue is used across the board? I just don't see how its possible to have the ball facing second at 9oclock and then rotate around enough to finish palm down. Unless they mean snapping the wrist at release, letting the elbow lead and THEN rotating the palm dow for a very late finish (I know girls who pitch like this so I can envision in in my mind even though trying to explain it is difficult)

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
She know Tincher, as we have talked about him, Bill Hillhouse, and Rick Pauly. I've seen several of her clients pitch, all have the ball and palm pointed to 2nd base at 9. Like I said it was alarming to me, that they taught this. I always tell my clients and parents they need to research what the best do, and even to look at the D1 pitchers. They have the ball facing third at 9.

Sep 10, 2013
I just don't see how its possible to have the ball facing second at 9oclock and then rotate around enough to finish palm down. Unless they mean snapping the wrist at release, letting the elbow lead and THEN rotating the palm dow for a very late finish (I know girls who pitch like this so I can envision in in my mind even though trying to explain it is difficult)

either palm up or down would have fingers facing 2nd. i guess the question is, palm up or down?

just about all the great ones (pauly, osterman, abbot, ueno, scarborough, et. al.) have palm UP at 9. DD's picked up this bad habit and is palm down at 9 and tries to turn to end palm down, but ends up flipping the ball (palm up at release).
you're observation is the same as mine. there's just not enough time to do 2 turns from 9-6, unless slowing it down. it's hard work, but we're determined to nip this in the bud.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
i guess the question is, palm up or down?

The only time I can think of to have palm down at 9:00 would be if you are throwing a change-up (flip change) and want to take a lot of speed off the pitch. Otherwise "palm to sky" is the ideal position to generate the most internal rotation for maximum speed and spin of the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I love this gif. I think it could be used in any post regarding whip, FSR and maximizing potential.

I think it's ok to talk about palm up from 9-7:30, but more important is to emphasize that it is a result of keeping the lower arm loose and the feeling of pulling the ball around the circle.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Me too !!!... What I'm focused on right now is that front foot. Straight, lands it on the heel, & comes up on the toe. I'm linking it to the roll-over of front foot in the swing...watch it (front foot) in this warm up, as she is warming up... kinda struggling to get it... like in the games clip... :cool:

U_Front_90.gif
YU.gif

You can see, that's a very deliberate move ...landing that front foot straight, in the gameshot. she also really puts on the brakes, and don't bleed forward like the warm up... kinda like GreenMonster, wanting to see a check swing with the swing... seeing a lot with warm-up, and a game together :cool:

To the OP... here is a 2 shots ... front & side to see palm up & to second base... @ 9:00... ??? Like the foot in the warm up...its not @ palm up to 2nd... its more like 3rd... :{))

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi