Ball Facing 2nd base... Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Me too !!!... What I'm focused on right now is that front foot. Straight, lands it on the heel, & comes up on the toe. I'm linking it to the roll-over of front foot in the swing...watch it (front foot) in this warm up, as she is warming up... kinda struggling to get it... like in the games clip... :cool:

U_Front_90.gif
YU.gif

You can see, that's a very deliberate move ...landing that front foot straight, in the gameshot. she also really puts on the brakes, and don't bleed forward like the warm up... kinda like GreenMonster, wanting to see a check swing with the swing... seeing a lot with warm-up, and a game together :cool:

To the OP... here is a 2 shots ... front & side to see palm up & to second base... @ 9:00... ??? Like the foot in the warm up...its not @ palm up to 2nd... its more like 3rd... :{))

Another thing that most of the great pitchers do with the arm circle is hide the arm and ball grip from view as the arm comes down the back of the circle. Very difficult for the batter to pick-up the ball until right before release. Pitchers that don't rotate the arm "palm to sky" around 9:00 and don't get heavy brush interference are "exposing" the arm and grip to the batter sooner (from 9:00 to 6:00) than the elite's like Ueno, Cat, and Abbott. You watch video from the catchers perspective there arm completely disappears until the last second. Elite pitchers do so many little things right that it adds up to greatness in the circle.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Great point, but don't focus on the foot, focus on why the foot does what it does...
What is "pitching from the chair?"

looking for just a regular folding chair...:cool:

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/CoachJames/train%20(3).mp4" />
</video>

See the push-push.... gotta have it to even get up...

For the OP... here is DD's rendition of palm up, back to 2nd @ 9:00

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/CoachJames/2nd_HB.mp4" />
</video>

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
So does Syd's... CoachJames... He stressed holding the feet, just like that... She has moved back to the rubber now... just sets feet up like she would if she was standing up... :cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I want the back to front isolated ....with out putting in the step like YU. Defiantly a leg/core wakerupper... Now that she has the concept, and legged up...progressing to a semi chair move without the chair...and with out going clear down, and touching the ground like I have seen several doing. Wanting her to fire off the back foot...& wakeup the lower half without doing walk trough's & 2Step during pre-game warm ups.

Having the front foot straight ...with ball facing 2nd palm up @ 9:00... & swim/slapessness, while dragging the back foot toe to target... Wouldn't you agree to that ? How do you teach...and progress into a good push-push as you called it ? I know you are video capable ... got a clip ???

The foot straight... my initial point, is in context, because it should be @ 9:00... Pitcher is at the most extended point. From tip of toe, back to tip of fingers. You go threw the progression to explode off the rubber to get maximum distance...so I also believe you want maximum stretch @ 9:00. To get maximum stretch... you'll need to land it on your heel... holding it straight to target extends stretch 3-4 inches. JMHO :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
2 step sequence.

Yes... she has done the 2Step for a couple years now. Like the walk throws, there has to be a timing adjustment, to the real pitch... She has extended to front heel & tip of back toe to the rubber. The Chair is building the real pitch push...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd suggest giving the 2 step another chance. I believe it's a much more efficient mechanic.

I just noticed that you're working with coachjames. Hopefully, he and javasource can comment on the two different schools of thought.

[MENTION=7797]coachjames[/MENTION] [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi