Bad Blue - IP call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Been there, done that...and was told "then play somewhere else"...and this was by TCS...

And there is your answer, take your business elsewhere. Sooner or later when enough teams have had enough they will be begging you to come back.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
First off, there is no such thing as "presenting the ball" in the rules, it may be in the hand or the glove. Second, the umpire has no choice but to get the UIC if the coach tells them they are protesting a rules application.

Our three coaches just took over the team a few weeks ago.
(a very experienced adult 12U coach carried the team from fall tryouts, to now...)
They are 2 graduating D1 catchers, and a sophomore D2 pitcher.

Became very apparent that just because you've played high level softball,
doesn't mean you know the Rules, or how to "manage" in situations like these.
This weekend was a great learning experience for all involved - players and coaches alike.

I'll bet we'll know exactly how to handle this if it ever occurs again!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I, too, know of an umpire that insists that the ball be in the bare hand. I instruct my girls to deal with it, but it isn't correct.

Oct 22, 2009
Had a USFA ump pull something similar on DD a last year in 12U. DD adapted and did well.

Our other pitcher mocked him a little by being dramatic and making an exaggerated move out of the presentation. Almost like a theater bow if you can picture that.

These girls are getting to the age where they know right from wrong and can have a little fun with it.

Mine did this in a college game, she had a habit of when she stood on the rubber, pre-presentation she rested the ball alongside her leg, and every once in a while she made a little movement with the ball. During one game she got an IP called for that. Ump said she could have an illegal substance on her shorts and that little rubbing movement could be her trying to rub it on the ball.

So for the rest of the game when she stood on the rubber she bent down and placed the ball below her knee below her shorts line. Good thing she wasn't wearing long pants!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Been there, done that...and was told "then play somewhere else"...and this was by TCS...

Exactly! We have no reasonable recourse for rogue umps and they are more common than most would think.

I suspect it is the classic little man complex. They get crapped on at work, at home, and in life, but the field is the one place they can exercise their will on others. These guys and gals always seem to have a chip on the shoulder. Of course, your mileage may vary......

Jun 16, 2011
After reading this can't help myself but to bring up another situation that i witnessed with umpires that don't know the rules that i saw last weekend at 14U-A ASA tournament.
Saturday pool play everyone batting and in lineup.
1st inning: 1st baseman and pitcher swap positions for one out.
2nd inning: starting pitcher returns to circle, starting 1st baseman back to 1st base.
last inning: the same two players swap positions again. pitcher throws one pitch and coach on other team starts a discussion with PU. a couple of minutes later PU and BU talk. a couple of minutes later HC told a relief pitcher can only re-enter the game once. HC say okay but she is not re-entering as she is in lineup. PU says that doesn't matter. after a short rant by head coach, original pitcher enters the circle. opposing team coach approaches PU again. another 5 minutes of discussion. and the opposing coach has now talked umpires into believing that the original pitcher is now ineligible to pitch as this is her second re-entry. HC almost loses it, could have been tossed.
team brings in a third pitcher who quickly gets the third out of the top of the inning. they score one in bottom of inning for a walk off 1-run win....
pure comedy or was it a tragedy:) is it too much to ask that the paid officials have a decent understanding of the rules???

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Exactly! We have no reasonable recourse for rogue umps and they are more common than most would think.

I suspect it is the classic little man complex. They get crapped on at work, at home, and in life, but the field is the one place they can exercise their will on others. These guys and gals always seem to have a chip on the shoulder. Of course, your mileage may vary......

As the 4'-9" tall 14yo girl on my team said last week about a short guy with a loud mouth and attitude, "He's got a Napoleon complex!" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad