Back to work and open stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It does seem silly but it is the best drill I have seen for upper/ lower half sequence. Mann/five posted the swingbuilder link a few days ago. I scrolled down and saw some dude laying on his back throwing discs and thought, WTH? Later we went to the cages, noticed lilly was opening her front shoulder too early and turning everything at once. I had her do the drill a few times. After the drill she started peppering the L screen instead of pulling the ball of the end of the bat.

I could be interpreting the drill wrong, someone set me straight if I am. I dont want to give bad advise.

For a hitter that is having trouble with the feeling of upper/lower separation, I think the drill has merit. I'm intending to give it a try with my DD. If your DD showed improvement after doing the drill, that's a good sign.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Don't get me wrong. I think the drill will be great. I just know my dorky DD will make me laugh!

We were doing the drill again tonight. Bat speed is noticeably faster with that separation. Ball audibly pops off the bat.

If you want to see something really funny, incorporate a little 'walking away' from the hands during the drill. Knees go one way, hands go the other until launch. That was fun to watch! Shes getting it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hips Open Shoulders Square Drill .....

2afwdpi.gif

May 20, 2015
The swing is better. But she still has a case of the drifts.
You must understand the importance of post #112 in this thread.
The only way to correct her drift (sway into contact) is to brace the front leg into contact.
You can't drift into contact and brace into contact simultaneously. One is correct and the other is incorrect. The brace prevents the drift and the drift prevents the brace.
BRACE

By brace, I'm referring to a front leg snap (aggressive extension) or a violent push back by the front foot.
A book by Tom Robson I have says the back foot pushes forward (towards the pitcher) while almost at the same time
the front foot pushes backwards (away from the pitcher) resulting in lower half rotation. Yeager is very similar in his teachings.
Note that the back/front push come after the front foot touch down. As my DD college coach tells her "plug in" in reference
to he front foot initial touch down. You have to "plug in" before you can push back.
Anyhow, your DD was near perfect in this regard in her "red shirt" swing. IMO, you need to get back to the "red shirt" swing.
A mechanically good lower half is 80% of a high level swing. JMHO.

May 12, 2014
Appreciate it Do-Over. I'll have her work on it this Friday. They have an hour of hitting before their tournament. I do see where she's leaking power by not "plugging in". Here's the crazy thing....she's hitting better now (not fundamentally) than she did during the time of the "red shirt" swing. Definitely needs to make the suggested fixes....just thought it was strange. Tonight for example, they were hitting off live pitching. She sent one deep to center field that landed on the fence. Her coach said I don't how she's hitting the way she is with how she's swinging.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild