Back leg scissoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Scissoring is another way of making an adjustment with the body like tilting. I wouldn't teach it on purpose.
jkG7HqO.gif

On this gif you can see Trout hesitate, adjust, then swing. Scissoring maybe one way that Trout has figured out to make an adjustment that works for him.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There are plenty of good hitters who swing with a back leg that is "dead" and don't scissor so you are obviously teaching something
related to the back foot when you teach someone to scissor.

Just because I don't necessarily agree with you doesn't mean I am taking
the thread off track. Also not saying that I don't do that often..just not here :LOL:

The back foot to me isn’t a teach when learning how to decel. I really want them to sense the foot doing nothing but catching them after contact if anything.

It’s not about you. It was about me not mentioning the back foot as an action during a scissor. But you implying that I did. But anyway.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Work=wins. One scissors, one doesn't. For clarification purposes, tell me what you would tell Yelich in order for him to be able to scissor. Also I know you said it isn't an absolute so I am not saying you would tell him he needs to scissor..just trying to understand what they are doing differently (other than Yelich seemingly trying to keep his back foot anchored to the ground).

jkG7HqO.gif

This is a force production question. A hitter can create force in 3 vectors. I know you know this. It’s personal to each hitter. From what I have learned. Most guys use 2 vectors. Some rarely use all 3.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Trout has said he works on this. Altuve, Martinez have said as much. Tim Hyers has drills on it. So does Craig Wallenbrock and Doug Latta also. I’m sure others do as well.

Jun 8, 2016
This is a force production question. A hitter can create force in 3 vectors. I know you know this. It’s personal to each hitter. From what I have learned. Most guys use 2 vectors. Some rarely use all 3.
Every hitter is going to produce force in 3 directions, the degree will obviously vary from hitter to hitter and swing to swing. To me, looking at Yelich, what he does with his back foot near/after contact (which is a style thing) prevents the scissor action. Same thing with Thome here

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Trout has said he works on this. Altuve, Martinez have said as much. Tim Hyers has drills on it. So does Craig Wallenbrock and Doug Latta also. I’m sure others do as well.
Yes I have seen and heard all of that (with the exception of Hyers..don't know him).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
In most hitters, back leg scissoring is a result of the torso trying to create space to get to the ball. Usually found in hitters that stride slightly across (closed)

May 12, 2016
In most hitters, back leg scissoring is a result of the torso trying to create space to get to the ball. Usually found in hitters that stride slightly across (closed)
I was hitting off the tee, focusing on my back foot being staked into the ground during my positive move and the scissoring happened. I didn't try it, it was not the point of the drill, it just happened.

You can see in the Trout gif above.. his back foot is anchored, his back leg gets long during his positive move, he scissors as a result.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom