Back leg scissoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What is the cause of the back foot/leg scissoring? I know it's a reactionary torque, although I haven't heard a great deal of what and why this is happening.

Sep 29, 2014
No expert but my guess is this is just the result of a last minute location adjustment to the pitch.

Since the back foot isn't bearing weight as it shouldn't...and he sees late that the ball is lower and away than when he started swinging his hands and some upper body is leaning out making the adjustment so if you stand on one foot and reach or lean like that your back foot will just natural scissoring like that...just a completely uneducated guess on my part.

Oct 2, 2017
What is the cause of the back foot/leg scissoring? I know it's a reactionary torque, although I haven't heard a great deal of what and why this is happening.

Don't know why this happens, although Doug Latta describes using that as a drill, much like hockey for hitting drills.

Aug 2, 2019
No expert but my guess is this is just the result of a last minute location adjustment to the pitch.

Since the back foot isn't bearing weight as it shouldn't...and he sees late that the ball is lower and away than when he started swinging his hands and some upper body is leaning out making the adjustment so if you stand on one foot and reach or lean like that your back foot will just natural scissoring like that...just a completely uneducated guess on my part.
This. Looks like an adjustment to the curve.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Could it be instinctive reverse rotation. Deceleration plus? Over catapulting the hips? Somebody posted a gif of Rory McEnroe with a reverse move. I don't think you can teach it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not everybody does it and this is on an offspeed pitch so in order to square it up the hitter has to decel hips. It is interesting but not very teachable. These great athletes bodies do whatever it takes to square it up. Throw bats for distance ,spin rate, direction and become more natural.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

DJ,

I agree there is a an adjustment happening. To avoid getting to far forward on the front leg he scissors the legs, result of stopping/slowing rotation and then restarting?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It can be worked on. It should be worked on. There are different ways to work on it. It can be worked on through the front hip or back hip or back leg.

It is key for efficient force production and transfer . It helps channel the energy through body into the barrel out through the ball. You will see a scissor or a decel move in most good pros. The back hip will only turn so far while the back leg anchors.

Think of the hitters body as a sports car, think of the decel or scissoring as the brakes on a windy mountain dirt road. It really helps keep your swing ‘straight’. I like the saying ‘rotation on a line’. It’s a good description of what’s happening, and how the energy is filtered through the sequence.

I would say the decel is just as important if not more important than the accel. jmho.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It can be worked on. It should be worked on. There are different ways to work on it. It can be worked on through the front hip or back hip or back leg.

It is key for efficient force production and transfer . It helps channel the energy through body into the barrel out through the ball. You will see a scissor or a decel move in most good pros. The back hip will only turn so far while the back leg anchors.

Think of the hitters body as a sports car, think of the decel or scissoring as the brakes on a windy mountain dirt road. It really helps keep your swing ‘straight’. I like the saying ‘rotation on a line’. It’s a good description of what’s happening, and how the energy is filtered through the sequence.

I would say the decel is just as important if not more important than the accel. jmho.

Thanks, I see this in many swings like Griffey and Edgar, a small skip/slide action, or a small scissoring action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802