Back leg scissoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The idea of the hips being a piece in the kinetic chain which you have to work is a flawed idea. Miggy shows that to be true.

The hips as the ‘brakes’ and torque creators are very much a thing imo. As far as power production in the ROTATION aspect of the swing, the hips and trunk are probably the same as far as power produced. jmho.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW said I find it easiest to use the back leg. I am interested. Please explain.

You could teach a kid to scissor pretty quickly. At first it won’t look like much. But the more they practice it, the more pronounced it will become.

Ask a kid to swing with a back leg that is not active or ‘dead’. The back hip will turn, but the leg will decel the hip and pull it back. Creating the tight turn.

Or ask a kid to swing with the thought that the back foot is buried in sand all the way up to the calf.

If those fail. Ask for a closed stance or a stride to closed and to maintain into launch. The front hip will close off the back leg and scissor/decel the swing.

If implementing, make sure the hitter has an adequate sequence with good posture etc. it really is worthless if the sequence isnt good. Might make things worse.

Every hitter I have taught to scissor doesn’t look back after they learn the feel and effortless speed they gain from it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So if you teach a 1-4 inch skip of the back foot forward and combine that with a 1-4 inch scissor/sideways skip, you would really have something.

Jun 8, 2016
So if you teach a 1-4 inch skip of the back foot forward and combine that with a 1-4 inch scissor/sideways skip, you would really have something.
Well as @Work=wins said, other things need to be correct too..in the last video I posted of her, Marcela was doing just what you prescribed and the swing won't be hanging in the model swing archive anytime soon :LOL: .

I disagree a bit with @Work=wins with regards to teaching it. Back foot to me is a no teach. But hey if Works for him it is a Win (pun intended.. :LOL: )

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

See what I wrote to RH. Nothing to do with back foot. Back leg or front hip. The feel to me is a ‘dead’ back leg. The pulling from the core and pelvis creates the foot action. Closed or stride to closed stance guys will have a more pronounced ‘scissor’. It all feels the same. Maybe for Altuve the feel is the back foot. Every athlete is different kinesthetically. That’s exactly why teaching cues in hitting fall more times than rise. The instructor and hitter has to know what they are dealing with and the end goal.

When scissoring, you are just creating the tightest turn possible with the quickest acceleration . Which creates SHARPER more DIRECT angles to the the ball.

As far as rotational force it creates less. BUT it is quicker(tighter radius). I guess it comes down to... Do you want a fast swing or a quick swing? Ted said to be quick. Just sayin.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well as @Work=wins said, other things need to be correct too..in the last video I posted of her, Marcela was doing just what you prescribed and the swing won't be hanging in the model swing archive anytime soon :LOL: .

I disagree a bit with @Work=wins with regards to teaching it. Back foot to me is a no teach. But hey if Works for him it is a Win (pun intended.. :LOL: )

When did I say back foot? It’s the back leg that is the anchor point. That creates the hip turn and decel. The back foot just reacts.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Of course Pattar will take the thread off track... 😑

The back foot has a role in the swing. Loading the posterior chain mainly and is a proprioceptor to the ground. Beyond that I don’t think about it much.

Jun 8, 2016
You could teach a kid to scissor pretty quickly.
Ask a kid to swing with a back leg that is not active or ‘dead’.
There are plenty of good hitters who swing with a back leg that is "dead" and don't scissor so you are obviously teaching something
related to the back foot when you teach someone to scissor.
Of course Pattar will take the thread off track... 

Just because I don't necessarily agree with you doesn't mean I am taking
the thread off track. Also not saying that I don't do that often..just not here :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
@Work=wins. One scissors, one doesn't. For clarification purposes, tell me what you would tell Yelich in order for him to be able to scissor. Also I know you said it isn't an absolute so I am not saying you would tell him he needs to scissor..just trying to understand what they are doing differently (other than Yelich seemingly trying to keep his back foot anchored to the ground).

jkG7HqO.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45