ATHLETIC SKILLS TESTING

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Did anyone else get the email from Triple Crown Sports about their new “up and coming company” College Sports Evaluation (CSE)? The emails says CSE is the answer to the question Is my athlete good enough to play for a Power 5, D1, DII, DIII, NAIA or JUCO school?

Looks like they are starting evaluations in early July in select states/geographic areas.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Did anyone else get the email from Triple Crown Sports about their new “up and coming company” College Sports Evaluation (CSE)? The emails says CSE is the answer to the question Is my athlete good enough to play for a Power 5, D1, DII, DIII, NAIA or JUCO school?

Looks like they are starting evaluations in early July in select states/geographic areas.
I got that email as well. somewhat pricey for a partial day evaluation.

Aug 25, 2019
Well,my DD would probably be at the bottom at any athletic skill testing, yet she would be near the top when it comes to game time hitting, so that's my thought on athletic skill testing.

Aug 2, 2019
Well,my DD would probably be at the bottom at any athletic skill testing, yet she would be near the top when it comes to game time hitting, so that's my thought on athletic skill testing.
Same.
DD moves like a turtle, even though she's built like a runner, explosive swing, great defensive hands, tracks ball in flight well, etc. As long as she doesn't have to move her feet she's golden.

Apr 16, 2013
This is my thought. I don't think she'd be at the bottom and things like grip strength she'd probably be at the very top. But then things like hitting off a tee means absolutely nothing when little girls can bring their 32" drop 11s to artificially up the exit speed off a tee. For a top end power hitter my DD isn't slow, but she's also not fast. It seems like making some kind of total score is worthless. I'd want to see a break out score like the SAT/ACT.

Jun 8, 2016
Back in the day MLB teams would do similar "testing" when they would have local 1 day tryouts. Everybody would run and throw and if you were lucky enough to get past that you would hit. For them it was about finding the under the radar athletic unicorn. Not even sure they even still do these.

Aug 6, 2013
I got that email as well. somewhat pricey for a partial day evaluation.
I was thinking the same but how much does On Deck cost? It does say it is both drills and scrimmages/playing time and they evaluate the player based on both.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is my thought. I don't think she'd be at the bottom and things like grip strength she'd probably be at the very top. But then things like hitting off a tee means absolutely nothing when little girls can bring their 32" drop 11s to artificially up the exit speed off a tee. For a top end power hitter my DD isn't slow, but she's also not fast. It seems like making some kind of total score is worthless. I'd want to see a break out score like the SAT/ACT.
SAT & ACT scores are also debatable as to wether they are an equivalent way to measure academics.
Often people score much lower than what there grades are. Or test higher than what grades are.
( but it is used as an equal way or level way to look at results against a chart or other results)

GPA is equally important.
With AP courses available and college prep high schools.
GPA #'s are computed different.
4.0 regular hs classess
4.0 AP hs classess not equal
( however students in different classrooms take the same SAT test)

Interesting that most D1 do not need higher testing scores to be accepted into the college.

The opportunity of testing is to provide the results to show against a chart or other results.

While some may point out hitting off a tee is not a measurment thats like hitting live pitching.
It is a form of test that is an equal or level way to find compairable results.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
SAT & ACT scores are also debatable as to wether they are an equivalent way to measure academics.
Often people score much lower than what there grades are. Or test higher than what grades are.
( but it is used as an equal way or level way to look at results against a chart or other results)

GPA is equally important.
With AP courses available and college prep high schools.
GPA #'s are computed different.
4.0 regular hs classess
4.0 AP hs classess not equal
( however students in different classrooms take the same SAT test)

Interesting that most D1 do not need higher testing scores to be accepted into the college.

The opportunity of testing is to provide the results to show against a chart or other results.

While some may point out hitting off a tee is not a measurment thats like hitting live pitching.
It is a form of test that is an equal or level way to find compairable results.
I agree about the SAT/ACT, I was just using the example of breaking down the scores.

I definitely disagree that hitting off a tee measures anything valuable, UNLESS they have a control bat. Everyone uses the same 33" wood bat. Then I'd buy into it. Until then, it's a worthless stat as it can be easily manipulated by the bat you use.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree about the SAT/ACT, I was just using the example of breaking down the scores.

I definitely disagree that hitting off a tee measures anything valuable, UNLESS they have a control bat. Everyone uses the same 33" wood bat. Then I'd buy into it. Until then, it's a worthless stat as it can be easily manipulated by the bat you use.
Are you agreeing if you or dd used the same bat say 6 months apart it could measure those two as a compairison?
Just sharing i do recognize what you are considering.

As far as hitting off a tee.
Never have liked it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles