Assistant's Roles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I would like thsi thread to be ideas of what the assistant role should be and what they should do! For example...1) An assistant should give advice and recommendations but should not get upset if the HC decides to do differently!

Jul 26, 2010
I do my best to give them distinct jobs to do that keep them busy and where as little thinking as necessary is possible. They have clear roles in pre-game warm-ups, practices, ect. I have both my assistants base-coach. If I have plays I want run, I signal to them from the dugouts. This gets them involved and gives them an important job to do in the game, and also puts them in a clear position of importance to the players.

Beyond that, the entire coaching staff for your entire organization from 10u to 18gold should have ONE way to do things, and ONE voice.

-W

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
On our team, each asst. coach has a role. Were flexable, at times those roles might be increased or changed depending on the toruney. The head coach and the pitching coach do not have children on the team. The head coach deals with the hitters and infielders as well as coaches 3rd base. The pitching coach works with the pitchers and catchers. I work with the outfielders and coach 1st base. We also have another guy ( with no child on the team) who does the book, checks us in at all tourneys, works with all player profiles, does all videos and works with the college stuff. Parents fill in and and assist at practcies and warming up at tourneys if needed. We all speak with one message. The head coach is in charge, no questions ask. we all get along great and work very well together. We do offer suggestions as to what we are seeing and he will ask for feedback, but we never, ever get involved with the line up.

Feb 9, 2009
I'm a former HC, and I enjoy being an AC on DD's team. Maybe because I'm a FORMER HC that I still remember what used to bug the itshay out of me, so I'm trying real hard not to do those things to the HC, who I really respect.
I don't give advise to the team or pep talks to the team, unless the HC opens up the opportunity. I also NEVER disagree with him in front of the team or parents. I will throw out suggestions, but never preceeded by "you know, when I was a head coach..." I never try to guess what he was thinking when a parent comes up to me after the game and asks "What was he thinking when ______?"
I also have the distinct advantage of being the only XX chromosome coach on a team of all XX chromosome players...this gives me insight that the other coaches just don't have. It also allows me the freedom to hug and kiss them when it would just be plain weird for the other coaches to do so...And, it allows me to be a little harder on them without coming across as hardnosed.
Now if I could just learn to let him be the base coach, and shut my trap when I think they should steal home we'd be okay!!!

Dec 19, 2008
On my daughter's team, we have the head coach, and 2 assistants. The head coach and one assitant handles the offense and defence. I am the other assistant and I handle pitching/catching. Works well, because I can go to the head coach and tell him what is or isn't working with each pitcher (and catcher's for that matter) and choose which ones to put in based on the team we are facing.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I think the role of an assistant coach depends solely on the needs of the head coach. As an AC, our HC is an excellent strategist. However, his motivational skills for the girls, by his own admission, are lacking. After coaching two sons to college BB scholarships, he admits his daughter and the other girls are "different creatures". As the parent of one daughter, he understands that I understand how to motivate our 10U girls. Along with being third base coach , I am given by the HC and put in all of the infield defense and base running signals. I also give pre-game speeches. Coach says this is because the girls "relate" to me. Any head coach worth his/her salt will admit his/her own deficiencies and rely on his/her AC's to fill those voids. It is my job whenever any questions are asked about anything that is not my sole responsibility, to say "Go ask Coach". Know your role as an AC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad