ASA holding new event w/ $6k entry fee and prize money

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I would like to know where the other $64,000 goes? (32 teams x $6,000 = $192,000 - prize money of $128,000)

Mar 26, 2013
$2k/entry goes to tourney and $4k to prize pool. PGF Nats is $1,795 + mandatory "Stay to Play" w/ $1,900 buyout.

Jun 1, 2013
I would absolutely hate to be an ump at this tournament. That kinda money and things could get out of control quick.

Nov 29, 2009
The entire USA Softball Coaching Staff will be present also to evaluate these players for our future National Teams." - USA Softball Women's National Team Head Coach Ken Eriksen.

We will find out who the most competitive programs in the country are now!

This tournament will also serve as an opportunity for evaluation by the USA Softball coaching staff and the Women's National Team Selection Committee (WNTSC).

"And I double dog dare ya!" to come play here is what the ASA is saying.

That type of money has no business in youth sports. I wonder if the rosters have to be ASA legal. Doesn't sound like it. Put together the best team you can and have at it. What does the NCAA say about it? The top eight teams will receive a cash "donation" back to their program. So the players will not be able to receive any of the cash. Only the programs.

They are trying to legitimize it with the BS about the National Team. What a coaches ego stroke if I've ever seen one. I guess the ASA is tired of having their Gold division gutted by the PGF.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
SMH. Will this thing really fly???

Probably... there is no lack of people who are desperate to get their kid in the USA program or in front of whoever they think is important... and also apparently make a big cash "donation" to the real Firecrackers or BatBusters team (or similar) who will likely win it!.

Mar 26, 2013
That type of money has no business in youth sports. I wonder if the rosters have to be ASA legal. Doesn't sound like it. Put together the best team you can and have at it.
They invited 63 teams, so the teams aren't being built from scratch. As an ASA NIT event, it will require an ASA roster, but it isn't constrained by ASA's championship roster rules.

What does the NCAA say about it? The top eight teams will receive a cash "donation" back to their program. So the players will not be able to receive any of the cash. Only the programs.
NCAA allows players to receive money for "actual and necessary expenses" - for this event, previous ones and going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413