ASA Color Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2011
This past summer in a rec game, an umpire made my daughter change her socks because they had an optic yellow stripe, and pitchers are not allowed to have the same color as the ball in their uniforms. Seemed kind of nitpicky as the next game, the team she faced had jerseys that were SOLID optic yellow. In looking up the rule, I found that gloves also are subject to this restriction. By rule, even a logo or stitching that is the same color as the ball (for instance, white laces, white ball) disqualifies the glove for use by the pitcher, although any other player can use it.

Just so happens that her glove is a Mizuno with an optic yellow logo on the wrist strap. Guess the ump was blinded by her socks and didn't see it. Anybody run into enforcement of the color rule to the degree that this would be a problem?

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I have seen a sharpie used to cover up an optic yellow logo on a pitchers glove after the ump made an issue of it. I've never heard of the ump making an issue of yellow on the uniform before.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
DD had to use a sharpie on her Mizuno glove at Regionals to color the logo. The only Ump to ever call it after a year of playing. Glad we had a sharpie in the dugout.

Jul 28, 2008
ASA has no rule against regarding color of socks. It addresses the uniform for pitchers in Rules Supplement 41.

Jul 26, 2010
ASA umpire meeting in 2010 re-inforced that the yellow logo was indeed a violation of the rules. Since then, Wilson has been making their pitcher mitts with white logos.

My daughter has a yellow logo A2000 and she blackened it with a sharpie after being called on it.

There's no rule against the color of uniforms. . . however the umpire does have digression if something is "distracting to batters". I've seen a lot of pitchers wearing Mizuno knee pads outside their uniform, worn inside out, they are optic yellow. Sometimes they get called on it, sometimes not.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't ask my DD and her teammates how they hit against the team that had neon yellow/green shorts. After I went behind the screen to see what they were complaining about I spoke quietly with the umpire between innings and he said that he couldn't do anything about it since the game had started??? I lied to my girls and told them I didn't have any problem picking up the ball so neither should they. It did end well and I fessed up after the game.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
i noticed some pitchers wearing a knee pad that had a picture of a softball on it. and it was the same color and size as the game ball? now that has to be against the rules right?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Don't ask my DD and her teammates how they hit against the team that had neon yellow/green shorts. After I went behind the screen to see what they were complaining about I spoke quietly with the umpire between innings and he said that he couldn't do anything about it since the game had started??? I lied to my girls and told them I didn't have any problem picking up the ball so neither should they. It did end well and I fessed up after the game.

There oughta be a rule. . .;)

I really think that there should be a rule against those uniforms.

Jun 18, 2010
Several have mentioned having to take a sharpie to the logo on a glove. DD has the glove pictured below. The strap on the back of the glove has has a little neon green as well as a logo by the webbing. Would this be in violation of the color rule? We play in an ASA event this weekend.

mizuno_glove2.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad