Around the Horn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois
We started this in 10U. We used it as part of teaching a high level of expectations (playing to a standard) and used it as something to be proud of when most teams don't do it. We practiced it in practice as well.

Now at 14U it is not only a way for the girls to stay active, but also a way to have a little fun with each other. They move quickly though and run back to position so it doesn't tend to slow anything down.

May 13, 2008
At what age do teams starting throwing around the horn after a strikeout (with no one on base, of course)?

I know at younger ages someone will miss the ball and it will just delay the games, which are already tight on time with 65/75 minute time limits.

I'd like to see it on our team (10U) but probably not a great idea.
Our girls started "around the horn at 12u" my pet peeve with it now at 16u level is during the throws the girls shorten up till the final toss to the pitcher is a hand off then they slap hands with each other. I tell her to stay in her position toss it around and get back to work but the huddle at the mound drives me nuts. Act like you've gotten an out before.. play ball
I agree wholeheartedly. Throw it around, stay loose, stay excited, stay in the game. Too much patty cake going on. Have never seen a softball player receive a college scholarship for her patty cake skills. Still see a lot of high school girls patty caking. Also would like to see between innings warm up throws to be longer and not from halfway. Make throws using game time distances NO MORE PATTY CAKE!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish