Arm whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
Now that I think about it, a really good way is to show them. Showem how it should work and then when they throw to you mimick/mirror their action/movement back to them.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Right, Right the upper arm is like the handle of the whip and abducts into the side.
Yes and no to this idea. Yes to the stabilization of the handle/upper arm. But with a whip all the energy comes from the handle and flows downward, the rest of the whip past the handle is passive and the energy flow takes place in one dimension. With IR you are applying force/energy through the rotation of the upper arm. If the elbow is straight IR gets you nothing, so there is also some effort involved in 'throwing' with a flexed arm/elbow.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
ok, I'll bite...the "cool" kids seem to have a new piece of jargon that they're using in the PC world. What is this? "How do you tie in Bow flex bow" or "the Bow"? and saying stuff like "if you know you know" in reference to it? There are many ways to illustrate or describe whip and I feel like I probably know what your referencing but is this just a new code or password? Asking as an old guy.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
ok, I'll bite...the "cool" kids seem to have a new piece of jargon that they're using in the PC world. What is this? "How do you tie in Bow flex bow" or "the Bow"? and saying stuff like "if you know you know" in reference to it? There are many ways to illustrate or describe whip and I feel like I probably know what your referencing but is this just a new code or password? Asking as an old guy.

You want me to show Bow Flex Bow? I can do that if you want.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
You want me to show Bow Flex Bow? I can do that if you want.
BFB must be a BFD for some people...edited to add, I get the golf club lag effect and the kinetic chain, etc.. but just have not heard of tying the bow to the bow flex or whatever was first brought up here. Always trying to learn something here from the experts and apparently today, this is it.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
BFB must be a BFD for some people...edited to add, I get the golf club lag effect and the kinetic chain, etc.. but just have not heard of tying the bow to the bow flex or whatever was first brought up here. Always trying to learn something here from the experts and apparently today, this is it.

I think Rick Pauly introduced the words, borrowed from baseball pitching (see https://www.topvelocity.net/forum/general/teachermans-approach-to-pitching/page-2/#p4281 for info and arguments that may be reminiscent of DFP. Bring your popcorn.)
It's the idea that at 3 o'clock your shoulders are bowing forward as your hands come up the circle, then at 9 o'clock your scaps are loaded, causing a flexed appearance of the shoulders. Then at release the scaps unload and the shoulders relax back forward into a bowed appearance. (I think I got that right.)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think Rick Pauly introduced the words, borrowed from baseball pitching (see https://www.topvelocity.net/forum/general/teachermans-approach-to-pitching/page-2/#p4281 for info and arguments that may be reminiscent of DFP. Bring your popcorn.)
It's the idea that at 3 o'clock your shoulders are bowing forward as your hands come up the circle, then at 9 o'clock your scaps are loaded, causing a flexed appearance of the shoulders. Then at release the scaps unload and the shoulders relax back forward into a bowed appearance. (I think I got that right.)

Sounds right…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball