Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
ahhh connection. Tough idea for some kids to grasp. for those of you who are familiar with my offspring. The older one is horribly disconnected ion game swings. We did some work the other day and she misinterpreted it and became an alligator arm swinger. Left with the choice of the long loopy more natural looking swing and the artificial hands connected to the rear shoulder alligator arm swing we quickly hit erase and restarted from scratch again.

I'd rather see that loopy power ala Alex Hugo than a high n tight tilt a whirl. Not that those are the choices but they were that day with my kid. The reality lies in between where the hands are natural and athletic, have some good spacing from the body, are connected by a tight spring but not by a rigid rod.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I detect attitude. Have I done something to offend you?
Na, on offense on my side. I just thought this is how we greeted each other. Maybe you don't remember 1chapterahead from the old neighborhood? Not a big deal if you don't. I just remember the marketing side of things back then. Seems the department is revving things up again?

I will have to note, you guys haven't really put much research into the things that sell these days.

May 12, 2008
No. I don't remember you. I care little about what sells. I care little for the tacky eraser throwing and insults on most public boards. That's why I left years ago. Lack of good moderating allows a public msg board to devolve to the lowest common denominator and I found myself down there rolling around in the mud with the rest and didn't like the picture. I think I'll take a few years off again and check back. Best wishes to all.

nib

Dec 23, 2015
He's got a hand-path. He knows where his hands have to be - to deliver the handle - while releasing/launching the barrel through the ball. His hands recruit his body to accomplish the task.

TroutHands.gif

Greetings, all. New here, just trying to learn about hitting for my kids, and found my way here. Interesting discussion!

As I look at the GIF, maybe I see it wrong. My background is not in high level baseball. I am a physician, and was a ski instructor and ski racing coach through college, and have a fairly extensive martial arts background. Therefore I am not clear on a lot of the jargon here. It's not really the way I am used to reading about athletic movements being described.

I see Trout generating momentum with his turn or rotation, and the front arm translating that to the bat, front wrist being a hinge. It appears that the deployment of the front arm is in direct linkage perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The initial angle along the shoulder line of the front arm is fairly tight, opening only slightly for the first half of the GIF. The second half of the GIF, that angle increases gradually, as the bat stays right on that same plane, secondarily deployed as a pendulum in a flail action, at least that's what we called it in golf. Looks to me like the rear arm is assisting the front arm deployment. It only appears to trail initially, maybe wrist is dorsiflexed and moves to neutral as the forearm supinates during elbow extension. Second half (roughly) the rear arm extends to smoothly deploy the front arm to contact, much like the central arm in a drafting compass. Looks like an efficient preservation and translation of his rotating momentum with minimum loss of potential energy.

I can't tell that the hands have anything to do with this at all, except to hold the bat. Is hand-path, and knowing where the hands have to be, some kind of Caddyshack-like "be the ball" type thing? I guess I am not in Mike Trout's head, just looking at the GIF. I know back in the day, if I would have said "Marc Girardelli's feet recruit the whole body to accomplish the task", I would be fired from the ski team. Not trying to be too glib, maybe I need more education...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
nib - One thing to keep in mind is that a baseball/softball hitter must make adjustments to adapt to changes in speed and location. This is one of the big areas where the golf and baseball/softball swing diverge.

Miguel Cabrera...
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

(EDIT: IMO, Mig's swing makes it much clearer than Trout's that hand/wrist action is a critical component.)

The hand path on these two swings is different because of pitch location. There is some debate about when the adjustment gets made, but there's no doubt that there is an adjustment. With the reaction time required to hit a pitched ball there isn't the time for a hitter to contemplate their hand path. Experience tells them where their hands need to be to deliver the barrel to the ball, and how to get them there. Likewise, experience tells Mark G about how to get around the next gate. He doesn't have time to think about feet placement, edge angles, or hip flexion, he's too busy reading the terrain and making adjustments. His body already knows how to support those adjustments.

Also...Welcome to DFP! :)

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just what I wanted for Christmas, by my count we have two new troll accounts. once again...troll activity here linked to activity on Cartman's blog.

I can't tell that the hands have anything to do with this at all, except to hold the bat. Is hand-path, and knowing where the hands have to be, some kind of Caddyshack-like "be the ball" type thing? I guess I am not in Mike Trout's head, just looking at the GIF. I know back in the day, if I would have said "Marc Girardelli's feet recruit the whole body to accomplish the task", I would be fired from the ski team. Not trying to be too glib, maybe I need more education...

JJ,
Not 'Trolls' from the site/camp you think their from. Bold above is a tip from another camp who don't believe in using the hands. That camp believes the hands are along for the ride. There must be a lot of kids home for the holidays that couldn't wait to spend there college break on DFP.:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55